Chapter 8: A Helping Hand

A gentle voice told me that it's not going to be easy.

I am going to experience so many trials now that I have You in my life.  
I realized I made mistakes from the past that I'll always regret, but Lord as you can see, I want to change. If you let me feel the hurt all over again, what would that make me? My haters will surely ridicule me, my so-called friends will surely mock me.

I am nothing in this world.

Compared to you Lord, I am nothing!

The shame is all mine and it's all in my doing.  

***

All the names portrayed in this story are not real. This is to protect the privacy of the people in character. 

***

"It's not like that, John," My old friend Freddie sighed in disappointment. 

"Please reconsider, I promised to be hard working," I pleaded. 

"I know you're hard working, John. But you know I can't pay you double. I am practically broke so go find another place for a job," he said annoyingly in front of his workers. 

"What? No. You can pay me as it is, like a regular employee. I don't need special attention. You know that." I explained. 

He smirked, "Are you sure?" 

He rolled his eyes and walked passed me, he stood by the door and opened it. Giving me a hint to leave the premises and just get going. But I was persistent, I stood and waited for a confirmation. 

"I'm sorry John but I can't help you. I'm busy and I'm not on hiring. On second thought, why don't you apply on some multi-billion company like before? I'm sure you can handle that since you're a LAW graduate, right?" he said scornfully. 

I was distressed. What happened to my old friend, Freddie? He used to be funny and very understanding. But now, all I can see on his face is loathing and disappointment. 

As I stepped outside the shop, I heard Freddie's son Tommy say, "Dad, what are you doing? That was uncle John, your best buddy." 

"Not anymore, son. That arrogant bastard ought to learn his lesson big time!" then he closed the door. 

The moment I left the place, I understood that Freddie is no longer a good friend of mine. He hates me and I know exactly why. 

Six years ago, I received a call from him begging me to help his son, Tommy, for his college education.  I said I would help him but I didn't do anything. He called me again but I didn't pay attention to what he was saying. All I could hear was "please, please". I was occupied chatting with my other friends on Skype. As he ended the conversation that day, I could still remember the sound of his voice over the phone, it was sadness mixed with disappointment. 

He called me several times during the weekend but I find it tiring to answer all his calls so I completely ignored it. After a series of unanswered phone calls, he finally texted me saying, "Tommy's birthday is tomorrow. Please come, we'll be waiting." 

I replied "Yes" on text but when my secretary invited me to a beach party on Saturday, (which I think is more fun than a boring threesome celebration at Freddie's house) I completely forgot about Tommy's birthday. 

I went home on Sunday morning still a bit drunk from that Saturday night party. To my surprise, Freddie and his son came to visit me late afternoon.