[63] Degnoming The Grand Galleon Draw

Fred and George had been right; Mom surely had a lot of work in store for us. The first day of the holidays, she let us off easy, but hell broke loose from the next. And no, I'm not exaggerating. The Burrow sure is a tidy place but to keep it so a lot of hard work is required. And that laborious hard work was what was asked from us. 

"Merlin's Cheese crackers! Come out of the broom closet this instant, George!" Looks like the twins are up to something again and Mom's not too glad about it. 

"Katerina please join Ginnevra and Ronald in the garden, will you?" she turned to face me, "they could surely do with some assistance in degnoming it." 

I nodded and walked out leaving her banging the door of the broom closet where dear Georgie was supposed to be hiding. In fact, it wasn't George who was in there at all. 

To be honest, the twins had locked up the old family ghoul in there merely to give Mom an uncalled for fright and well because the ghoul was destructing my room (it used to have its quarters in the attic before I came, so obviously it wasn't glad of my return). 

However I went out to the garden from the backdoor where Percy was shouting orders and Ron and Ginny were toiling hard. 

"Take it by the ankle, Ronald," he was perched up on a twisted tree branch as if it was some high seat if authority, "now spin it anticlockwise and when the desired momentum is attained you throw it afar."

"Hi Perce!" I greeted him.

He looked up from his book for a second through his spectacles that were about to slip from the bridge if his nose as usual. And then he threw a shovel at me from nowhere that missed my head by mere inches. 

"Hey, what was that for?" I asked.

"Dig the potatoes out," he replied, "if you come across a potatohead that isn't keen to come out then Ron will degnome it for you." 

Ah well... I picked up the shovel and began digging.

"A 360° arc, didn't I tell you? 360 degrees," there goes Perce again with his never ending mathematical calculations. But before he could rave on about the 360°, a gnome came flying out of nowhere and hit him in the face as a result of which he went toppling down to the ground. 

Source of commotion? Fred and George, obviously. Without a shadow of doubt. And true enough, there they were demonstrating the uses of their new invention.

"Saving you the trouble of rotating these gnomes in a complete 360° arc, we present you the revolutionary Gnome Catapult. Manufactured by the only geniuses of their time; Weasley and Weasley."

Percy stood up rubbing his head and scoffing evidently under his breath, "the only idiots of their time; Weasley and Weasley." 

Both the twins launched into an elaborate explanation of the functions of the catapult and after that degnomed the garden in minutes much to our relief. Teaching the principles of science to them both did prove to be beneficial after all. By the end of the machine's excellent performance, even Percy had stopped complaining and was examining the plugs and knobs closely. 

Wait a second... Plugs and knobs?

"Where exactly did you get this stuff?" he asked soon enough pointing to the plugs, "if it is what I assume, then you are in for a lot of trouble."

"Aw come on, Perce, we were cleaning the garage, it's not like we took things that were under authorized supervision or extensive surveillance," the twins protested. 

"If Mom comes to know of this..."

"Well, she won't."

"And why not? I'm going right now to..."