Arjun

5 YEARS LATER.

“Arjun! Arjun!”

A fair and chubby kid ran to the dining table. He sat at the empty chair beside a 3-year-old cute girl.

“Bhaiyya! Where were you? Ajji is so angry … see.” The girl pointed towards an elderly lady with silver hair, draped in a white saree. Her face was marked with wrinkles and lines, etched with years of frowning.
Never did the kids see her smile. Arjun smiled at the girl and winked.

Someone cleared their throat behind him. He turned to come face-to-face with an old man. His face too had wrinkles and lines, but those were caused due to years of smiling. His eyes glowed behind the thick spectacles.

“Thatha!” Arjun hugged the man.

“Don’t tell me you have been playing in mud again!” The man laughed, looking at his white kurtha, which now became soiled.

“How dare you enter the dining hall with dirty hands. How many times have I told you to wash your hands? And now who will wash thatha’s kurtha?” The old waman stormed on him.

“It’s alright Rangamma.” The old man said softly.

“But Arjun; where were you and what were you doing?” He turned towards the boy with a smile.

“You don’t know Nareshji. This little fellow here is very naughty. Always bringing one or the other trouble. I feel it better to tie him up at a place so he doesn’t do more mischief.”

Nareshji saw tears forming in Arjun’s eyes. “You go take care of others Rangamma. Me and Arjun will have a small talk  in garden. And keep his breakfast ready. After our talk, he will have his breakfast.”

She went away muttering something. Nareshji took Arjun to the tap and made him wash his hands first. Then they head towards the garden.

“Thatha! Am I a bad boy? Is that why my parents left me? No one likes me.” He started sobbing.

“No! My dear. Don’t cry. Your parents did not leave you because you were a bad boy. But they went to request god, to tell him personally that you were a very good boy. They are proud of how well you are managing everything without them, unlike all other kids who cry for everything and trouble their parents.”

“Really grandpa?” Arjun wiped his tears away.

“Yes dear. And if you cry now, your parents will feel sad. Oh … I forgot … they sent you a gift for your birthday.”

“Yay!” Arjun jumped in joy.

"But first, you should have your breakfast and take blessings from them and your granny." Arjun ran into the dining hall, while the old man looked at him with moist eyes.

“Bhaiyaa, look, I made this for you. Happy birthday!” The cute girl handed him a drawing as soon as Arjun finished his breakfast.

“Thank you so much Rukku! I love you a lot; sis!” Arjun pulled her cheeks and hugged her tight. She kissed his cheeks. “I love you more bro!” They fist bumped and started walking hand in hand towards the prayer hall. There, Arjun prostrated before the various idols and images of the gods of all religions. Both the kids joined their palms and prayed for a while.

“Arjun!” He turned back to see the old man smiling, his hands behind his back. He ran to him and touched his feet. “Stay blessed my boy. You will have a really wonderful future ahead.” He blessed the boy and asked him to close his eyes. Then he placed a small idol in his hands.

Arjun opened his eyes to be mesmerised by a blue  figure in his hands. "This is the friend that your parents and Shantamma granny sent for you from heaven. His name is Krishna and he will be with you forever from now on. Remember Arjun! In life, many people will come and go. But he will be with you forever. So whatever you do, be true to him. Tell him all your problems and he will give you the solution.” Arjun could not tear his eyes away from that beautiful figure in his hands. He felt strange, the moment it touched his skin. An involuntary smile spread over his face. He hugged his thatha and ran into the garden, followed by Rukmini.

He stopped by a lake and sat by its banks. He then made the idol face a small sapling and spoke in its ear. “This is the sapling I planted today morning. I named it Arjun. My name. How is it?” He looked eagerly into the eyes of the statue, to find a sparkle in its eyes. He grinned wide. Rukmini caught up with him, in the meanwhile.

“So that is why, your hands were dirty?” She asked and he nodded.

“Bhaiyaa, I want to plant a sapling too.” She pouted.

“Tomorrow.” He said, rolling the idol in his palms.

Nareshji retreated to the orphanage, feeling proud of his favourite kids, Arjun and Rukmini.

***************************
Thatha : grandfather
Ajji : grandmother
Bhaiyya: brother

We finally have a name for the hero of our story.
Arjun!

Do let me know what you feel of the story, so far.