Complications

Every time Jaylen crossed paths with Drake the air grew cold, his body felt hollow, and his mind blanked. He didn't understand it, was it fear? Anxiety? Maybe he was just sensitive to his presence because he loathed it for so long. Anytime Drake touched his arm or kissed his cheek, or even when he simply brushed against him accidentally, Jaylen couldn't sit still. There'd be occasions where Drake would attempt to join Jaylen in bed at night, or sit close to him on the couch when he was watching television, and Jaylen brushed it aside. It bothered him, but he was terrible at confrontation and there was no way he was going to make any unpredicted movements that would lead to said confrontation. He honestly just needed space, he didn't understand specifically what that meant, but everything in him knew it was necessary. 

"Hey Drake, I need to talk to you." Drake automatically knew something was off, because everyone knows a sentence like that without the affirmation it won't result badly will indeed end badly. Plus, recently he could feel the tension rise every time he interacted with Jaylen, though he assumed it was simply nervousness or maybe anxiety due to the circumstances. Even though he also hated confrontation, he could tell this was important.

"Oh. Uh, sure, Jaylen. What's up?" Steadily Jaylen made his way beside Drake, sighing as he began to do the thing he's been dreading most. 

"I need some space." There was a brief pause as they both let the words sink in. "It's just too soon for us to try and make things better. I know the whole thing started because of something neither of us could comprehend, and it was so much all at once; but I think we need some individual time to ourselves, completely to ourselves." Drake looked at Jaylen as he spoke, he knew it was true, but he didn't want to accept it. He exhaled the breath he was holding in and nodded his head down, steering his gaze to right in between their feet. What he wanted to say just couldn't seem to come to him, his mouth refused to move, so they both just sat there in silence - not awkward silence, but the type of silence that just sits there, like the comfortable radio silence that occurs on occasion. Drake took in one more brief breath before he began speaking.

"Ok, I understand. That's probably best, as badly as I hate to accept that, you're right." At that moment the air became light, Jaylen's body began to warm and regain what it had lost. 

"Thank you for understanding. I know this is hard for the both of us, and I know this is my decision - I just know it's necessary for me." Another brief pause, "I'll be out by dinner, as soon as I'm done packing." Drake nodded then looked up to speak once more.

"Uh, what about money? I can give you some to pay for the first month wherever you're going. I'll have to estimate what that would be, but I'm sure I'll have it figured out by the time you leave." His throat tightened as soon as he stated that last word.

"No, that's ok. I know a few places I can work. They'll have to be back at slave centers, but I know it'll be ok, I've worked in enough of them plenty of times to know how to handle it until I find another place of work." Drake's heart broke and the pieces sank into his stomach, though he knew Jaylen wouldn't be able to find work elsewhere, nor would he accept Drake's money. This was just another cruel part of reality that he'd have to accept, so he just nodded again in response. Jaylen nodded as well in return and turned towards his room. Thus this was the day that they both learned a bit and grew even more. Who knew when they'd see each other again.

Jaylen spent all day packing and reminiscing in pieces of clothing Drake gave to him each night to help him sleep. He knew that those nights were rough even though he felt sad and empty the scent of Drake helped regardless, as it always did. Against his better judgement he packed a couple of his shirts and an almost empty bottle of his cologne to keep with him to help him throughout what would be, no doubt, the worst sleepless nights to come. In the past at least he knew Drake was in the other room, and if needed he could simply walk into his room and lay in his bed and Drake would, without hesitation, wrap his arms around Jaylen. Protection keeping Jaylen feeling safe and calm against even his own words and actions. Jaylen could run away for days, even weeks, and once he returned home he knew Drake wouldn't be mad, though he'd act that way there was no sign of it in the way he spoke or looked at Jaylen, he was just happy he was safe and back in his arms and care. All of these thoughts and memories and possible scenarios made Jaylen contemplate whether or not he was making the right decision. Maybe he could just stay at a friend's for a few weeks and the return here as soon as he felt better. Anything really. Jaylen sat on these thoughts for the next few hours, and he decided what he was really going to do.

After the hugs good-bye, and the long, long, long farewell speeches, Jaylen headed off to his new home and workplace, and Drake began searching up jobs. Maybe he'd be able to finally pay for a better home, go to therapy for his new found alcohol and drug addiction, which he gave up as soon as Jaylen returned, but knew he'd start up again - old habits die hard. As for Jaylen, all of that contemplation also made him realize that all he's ever done is rely on others. As bad as they might've been they cared for him, fed him, occasionally, gave him water and a home. He wanted to be able to fully rely on himself and himself only, if it lasted a month or a year he wouldn't mind. As long as he knew what it meant to be independent, and he'd learned something. He needed to force himself to do this or he would be dependent forever, which isn't bad, but it isn't what he wants either, it isn't what he needs. 

They were both off to discover their new lives, it would be a struggle but the best things in life don't come as easy as they leave, because those good things are just a taste of what could be coming next.

Ok, so better chapter. Any ideas on what should happen? Please tell me, I'm always open to suggestions and criticism. Anything is good.