Surprise, Surprise

"Excuse me ma’am.”

It was Thursday and I was struggling to finish my shift. I had stayed up late last night researching into getting more financial aid to go back to school and I had come up with nothing. Funding for school was so hard to come by these days, especially if you weren’t a UK citizen. I called it quits eventually around 4 a.m. and woke up only two hours later to open the shop for Leo.

“Yes, can I help you?” I responded in monotone. I usually was all for being chipper to every customer because I wanted to be a part of making someone’s day a good one, but today I just wasn’t up for the challenge.

“I ordered a vanilla bean latte and I think this is just a black coffee.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry sir. Let me change that up for you,” I said continuing in monotone and pulling out a new cup.

“It’s no problem darling, thank you.” His words caught my attention then and I snuck a glance up at him. He was tall and had fair skin. His hair was a dark blonde and was side swept with a windblown look. His eyes were almost completely clear in color and he wore an expensive looking black suit. A businessman I presumed. “I’m in visiting for a business trip,” he started with a wink as I handed him his drink, “are there any places I should visit before I leave back for Ireland? Must-see sights you know? This is my first time here.”

“Um, I just recently moved into town actually so I only know of the main sights like Big Ben, the National History Museum is a trip for sure, and the Eye is pretty neat as well,” I responded. Of course I knew about tons of historical landmarks that were fascinating around the London area, but I was too tired to socialize properly at the moment.

“Hmm, well I’ve visited all those but thank you for your recommendations Charlotte, they were beautiful sites,” he said with a charming smile, looking at the name tag pinned to my apron. He reminded me of a prince with his perfections, almost looking like a doll. I wondered then if he even had a piece of lint on his suit or a fly away hair out of place. I thought it strange to search though so I continued with work.

After taking a few more customers the crowd began to slow and thin out until eventually I finally had time to sit for a moment and scarf down a sandwich for a quick lunch. What I really wanted to do was go upstairs and pull out the second tub of that magnificent rum sorbet that Harry had brought over a couple of days ago, but I knew I couldn’t without Leo being here. I decided instead to whip up a caramel crème brulee latte to help get me through the last hours of my shift. It had become a quick favorite of mine for the New Year. As I began to prepare it and the wonderful sweet smell began to make me feel more awake I wondered why I hadn’t thought of it sooner.

I drew up a chair next to the register and pulled my sandwich from the plastic bag I had placed it in and just before I was going to take a bite I noticed the business man I had served earlier still sitting in the corner of the shop. I had taken his order hours ago and now he was only staring out the window at people passing by. He seemed to be deep in thought. I looked at the clock placed on the wall directly across from the register and realized he had been here for three hours at least.

What are you doing? I thought to myself. I finished up my sandwich quickly and walked over to his table. Usually I wouldn’t do this, I’d just leave the man alone but three hours was too questioning for me to do that. And besides, I had no customers to attend to and I would bore myself to death if I didn’t come up with something to do. He turned to notice me walking up before I could make it the entire way to his table and he gave me an awkward smile. He looked more uncomfortable now than he had when I had taken his order. I wondered why.

“I’m sorry I don’t mean to intrude, I just noticed you had been here for quite a while and was wondering if I could get you anything else? A bagel or something?” Now I was being awkward, probably making him even more uncomfortable. That’s not what I was truly wondering but I didn’t want to come off as nosy.