Two Types Of Charm

I sprinted out of the bathroom, towel wrapped loosely around my hair and bathrobe flying. I almost tripped with the robe getting caught between my legs which were still covered with dew from the shower. I could hear my phone ringing for the third time in the last five minutes, but I couldn’t remember where I had put it. Searching frantically I continuously pushed the tower of falling towel from my face. Finally finding it under the corner of my duvet I answered.

“Hello?” I asked breathlessly.

“Hey love,” I heard Harry’s deep voice on the other line for the first time since Christmas Eve. It instantly brought a smile to my face and changed my tone from cold to warm. “Did I wake you? You seem groggy.”

No, no I’m fine. How was Christmas with the family?” He had been gone for about two weeks to visit them. I had stayed here and had Christmas dinner with Leo. It was nice, but I had missed Harry dearly. It was the longest we had been apart since we began dating. Also, he was always so busy with family so we didn’t get to talk on the phone much, only a text message every so often. I didn’t know I would react to being away from him as I had been, but I was ready to see him again. My patience was wearing thin.

“It was great. Lots of laughs, lots of gravy, pretty much another perfect rendition of our typical family holiday. How was dinner with Leo?”

“It was good.”

“That’s all, just good? I thought Leo was a fantastic cook.”

“Oh he is fantastic, the food was wonderful. It was just another Christmas away from my family which is never easy you know?”

“That’s understandable. I’m sorry Lottie.”

“One day I’ll be able to visit home whenever I please, I just have to keep working towards this dream and I’ll get there.”

“That’s right, stay positive with it.”

“So when are you supposed to be back in London?”

“Miss me already?”

“Yes,” I answered without hesitation. I didn’t want to sound clingy, but I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t believe I was thinking this at the moment, but I actually missed his corny jokes. I would never admit that to him though.

“Well I miss you too, a lot,” he said with a serious tone. It gave me chills. “Lucky for both of us, I am back in town right this minute.” I jumped silently with excitement around my bedroom. I considered hopping onto the bed, but I didn’t want him to hear the ruckus and have the satisfaction of knowing I most likely was missing him more. So I settled for staying on the floor until I stubbed my toe on the bedside table and had to sit down. I quickly went from silently screaming in pure delight to silently screaming in pain.

“That’s great Harry,” I said, biting my lip. “So what’s the plan for tonight?”

“Tonight?” he said in confusion.

“Yeah, tonight? New Year’s Eve?”

“I’m only joking,” he replied with a laugh. “It’s all a surprise. An ingenious plan that I have conjured up that’s so complex it may just blow your mind. And it starts now.”

“Right now?” My heart sped up in anticipation.

“You’re not busy are you?”

I looked at my reflection through the open bathroom door to the mirror hanging there. “No I’m not busy,” I lied. I looked a hot mess.

“Great. Go downstairs in the coffee shop and Leo will give you your first clue.”

“Clue? Wait what do you mean clue?” I attempted to ask, but Harry was already gone. I hung up.