Another Surprise

I put another bit of mango bubblegum in my mouth and chew it nervously as me and Lauren walk to the main door of my house. I have a weird obsession with mango bubblegum, especially when I dance and when I'm nervous. It helps me focus. And both of those things will be happening.

Lauren loops her arm in mine and squeezed my arm, smiling sweetly.

"Don't worry, you look beautiful."

"Thanks Ren."

We push the door open and are greeted with the loud thumping of Latina music and discussion around us. My house is full of friends, family and people I've never even met.

"I'm going to find Papí!"

"Okay, I'm going to get us a drink!"

I nod to save our straining voices. I begin wandering through the amount of people, getting the occasional "Feliz Compliaños" or "Happy Birthday" from people. I let out a deep sigh, not able to sight Papí. I stand there just scanning the room for someone to really talk to when I feel a large hand in my shoulder.

"You look hermosa Andie."

"Gracias Papí."

I smile and give him a big hug.

"But I want you to change."

The smile drops from my face and I raise my eyebrow.

"Sorry but no Papí. Ren got me this dress and I love it."

I cross my arms defiantly.

"Yes but so does everyone else. The men are all looking at you."

"Let them look. I'm 18 now and I think I look nice for once."

I huff and walk away through the crowds of people, finding my way to the temporary dance floor that has been set up in our living room. I think I look nice. Why can't he just leave it at 'you look beautiful'?

There's bodies moving everywhere, covering the floor completely. I chew my gum harder, getting more nervous about dancing with all these different men. At these parties most men ask the woman for a dance at some point in the night.

I'm suddenly pulled from my thoughts by another larger but rougher hand placed on my lower back.

"Look Papí, I'm not changing and-"

As I swing round I'm met with the dark gaze of Ace's ice blue eyes.

"I don't want you to change."

He smirks at me, looking almost dangerous.

"Oh, no, I-I thought you were Papí."

I stutter nervously and look at my feet, feeling a blush rise to my face. What the fuck? I snap out of it and return his harsh gaze with my large brown orbs.

"Thank you do much for this Ace. It's more than I deserve."

I finger the diamond choker wrapped around my neck, nervously. Why am I suddenly so nervous? I was never like this with him before.

"You don't have to deserve an 18th present. Anyway, it's the least I can do after not talking to you for 2 years, mi amor. I'm sorry."

I forgot about that. He said that he would call or message me everyday. That lasted about 2 months and hen he just stopped replying. I forgot how much that hurts.

"Oh...yeah..."

I look down again. He lifts my chin with his finger to explore my face again.

"But I'm here now mi amor, so late catch up, sí?"