Chapter 9

DISCLAIMER: We do not own the concept of Warriors! It belongs to Erin Hunter, the author of Warriors, as well as Survivors and Seekers!!

Scarletpaw sprinted after her mentor, Leafstar, as they raced to the Cloud Pine. It was the tallest tree in the forest, and today Leafstar was going to teach Scarletpaw how to climb it. Leafstar suddenly stopped, and Scarletpaw crashed into her. Scarletpaw fell, but quickly got back onto her paws. “What's wrong, Leafstar?” Scarletpaw asked her mentor. Leafstar looked tense. She spun around and leaped at Scarletpaw. Scarletpaw had been unprepared, and she was knocked over. Leafstar pinned her down, and pummeled Scarletpaw with her hind paws. Scarletpaw meowed in distress and tried to wriggle out from under Leafstar, but she wasn't successful. Scarletpaw gave up, and Leafstar relaxed her grip. Suddenly, Scarletpaw leaped upwards, throwing Leafstar off. The the beige she-cat purred and got to her paws. Scarletpaw crouched down to the ground and snarled menacingly at her mentor. Her green gaze sharpened on Leafstar. Leafstar didn't look the least bit fazed, her green-gray eyes sparkling with delight.

    “You will grow up to be a fine warrior.” Leafstar praised Scarletpaw. Scarletpaw felt her pelt glow with pride. She got up from her crouch and groomed herself. Leafstar used her tail to point upwards at something. Scarletpaw looked up and realized that it was the Cloud Pine! Scarletpaw gasped and Leafstar said, “This is the Cloud Pine. It is the tallest tree in this forest.” Scarletpaw took this in, and decided to tell her littermates.

    “Lightningfoot says he climbed all the way to the top when he was an apprentice, but no one believes that.” Leafstar purred and so did Scarletpaw. “Alright, now do you want to learn how to climb trees?” Leafstar asked Scarletpaw.

    “Yes!”

    “Okay then. First, can you reach the first branch?” Scarletpaw jumped up and found that she could touch the first branch, but only just barely. She shook her head. “I thought so. I'll first teach you how to climb a small tree. You see that small tree over there?” Leafstar lifted her paw and pointed it at a short tree a few fox lengths away. “You should be able to reach the first branch. I want you to try climbing that first. Remember, dig you claws in and jump from branch to branch. Don't even think about climbing up a tree without grabbing onto the branches.” Leafstar said sternly.

    “Yes!” Scarletpaw replied enthusiastically. She bunched up her muscles and jumped as high she could. She landed on the first branch, shakily at first, but she steadied herself. “Good job!” Leafstar commented, and Scarletpaw purred. She bunched her muscles up again, and jumped to the next branch. Higher and higher she went, until she reached the top. She yowled, “This is great! It's so high up!”

    “Come down now!” Leafstar yowled back. “It's almost sunset, and I need to be back to listen to the dawn patrol’s report!”

    “Okay!” A few seconds of silence passed.

    “Scarletpaw?”

    “Leafstar, I can't get down!” Scarletpaw screeched in an anxious mew. “I'm stuck up here!”

    “Don't panic, Scarletpaw, just slowly lower yourself down to the branch below you!” Leafstar instructed. Scarletpaw did that, and Leafstar continued, “Just keep going until you get to the ground. You can do it, just don't look down!” Scarletpaw whimpered, but kept going. She slowly lowered herself down, and she slowly started to appear in the branches above Leafstar. Scarletpaw decided to look down, and yelped. “It's so high up! Leafstar, how do I get off this branch?” Scarletpaw had reached the first branch on the tree, but it was about a fox length up from the ground.

    “It's okay, Scarletpaw. “ Leafstar said in a soothing voice, “Jump down. I promise I will catch you.” Scarletpaw looked scared for a second, but shook it away. She bunched up her muscles, and jumped. She screeched, and Leafstar grunted as Scarletpaw fell on her back. Scarletpaw gasped, and Leafstar calmed her down. “Let's get back to camp, shall we?” Scarletpaw nodded frantically and Leafstar purred. The two walked slowly back to Amethystclan’s clan’s camp.