Coming Home With Injuries Part 2

The next morning Melinda woke up before everyone, at five-thirty-two a.m. She pushed the blankets off and sat up. Silently, she slipped out of Medical and made her way to her bunk on board the Bus.

She stripped off her bloodied clothes and changed into her Elmo T-shirt and black jeans and combat boots.

Upon entering the common room an alarm went off, leaving Melinda standing frozen in silence while everyone instantly turned to look at her. She saw Jemma go into Dr. Simmons mode and Lian change to mom mode and then turned and quickly walked away. She snuck into a supply closet and closed the door just as Jemma turned the corner.

Melinda exited the supply closet and saw the back of her mother's black jacket disappear around the corner. Quickly so no one would see her, Melinda made her way back to the common room. No alarm went off.

She went to the jug and filled it with water through the spout as she couldn't get the lid off. Giving up on trying to boil water, she filled a cup with water and put it in the microwave, much to Coulson's dismay.

"May. . ." he groaned.

"What?"

"That cup was plastic."

She shrugged. "So?"

There was a bang and Melinda felt the heat of flames on her back. "Right. That's why."

Jemma and Lian came in shortly after the bang, both with hard stares. Melinda hadn't realised and was standing on tiptoes, using the jug to pour water on the flames. When the flames died down, she unplugged the microwave and tugged it down to bring it to the lab.

Turning around, she stopped short when she saw her mom looking at her with that stare that usually in her household meant I'm-going-to-chop-you-up-and-hide-your-body-because-you-should-still-be-in-bed/hospital-medical. Or I-love-you-too-much-to-let-you-kill-yourself-because-you're reckless.

Melinda smiled nervously as Lian approached her, stopping when the microwave was less than a centimetre away. Lian folded her arms and glared.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Don't smart mouth me, miss. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I am perfectly justified in my actions. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go find someone to fix this and then yell at Stark for making the jug so damn complicated," Melinda smiled, stepping around Lian and carrying on.

She had just made it to the door when Jemma spoke.

"Put that down," Jemma ordered.

Melinda made a face turned around but didn't put the microwave down.

"Put it down," she repeated.

"I can't."

"Oh? Any whyever not?" Jemma asked, crossing her arms.

"I thinks it's stuck to my T-shirt," came the answer before Melinda continued walking.

"Don't you dare leave this room," Lian and Jemma said at the same time.

Melinda opened the door and stopped. Standing outside was Bobbi, her hand outstretched like she was just about to open it.

"What did you do to the microwave?" Bobbi asked.

"I'll explain later. Hold them off for a while, will you?" Melinda asked, before moving around and jogging down the hall.

Lian and Jemma both started after her. Bobbi moved out of their way, knowing better than to cross Dr. Simmons and Lian May.