Chapter V

Chapter V: Once a thief, always a thief

When Seth told us we were going to pay them a visit, I didn't think we were actually going to knock on their door like normal human beings. Whoever said 'trouble does't come for you, you look for it' was so damn wrong. Or maybe real life didn't apply to the brothers. Seth placed me strategically right in front of the door, so whoever opened it wouldn't have that much big of a shock. It was dumb. They took advantage of my innocent look and I didn't like it. I knocked again, hoping that they would be already gone. An old man opened the door, a little confused.

"Uhm, hi!" I faked a smile. "You know, we're actually in the room just below you. Do you think you could keep the noise level down a little bit?" I said exactly what Seth told me to say. The man narrowed his eyebrows.

"What's that now?" He asked.

"She said shut your mouth." Seth stormed past me and hit the man in the face with his gun. I gasped. That was really unnecessary.

"Seth, oh my God." It seemed as if they stopped caring about who was going to get hurt or not, and that was a game I was willing to play. I could've turned into their karma. Richie pushed me inside and closed the door behind him. A kid was staring in shock at what was happening. When Seth mentioned that a family owned a RV, I didn't imagine that kids would get involved.

I took a deep breath and watched how Seth asked the old man a bunch of questions. It was pretty hard to make up a plan, when I kept seeing Monica's dead body every time I blinked. I wished I could get rid of the horrifying image. I looked up at Richie, who seemed to be watching me for some time. He muttered something I tried to understand, but didn't manage to. Suddenly, my vision became blurry and a few images started playing in front of me. Past events that I wasn't part of. A young girl who was thrown in a pit of snakes. I couldn't see her face, but she resembled me in a weird way.

A faint noise in the distance was calling me, but I couldn't move. I was trapped. Looking down at my hands, I noticed that I was cuffed. The scenery changed, and now I was in some kind of cave. Nothing quite like this has ever happened to me, and I had no idea what to do.

"Romanoff!" I opened my eyes and saw Seth shaking me. My palms were sweating so bad that it looked as if I drenched my hands in water. My legs felt weak. "Are you alright?" The older brother asked me.

I looked back at Richie who wasn't showing any emotion. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Romanoff as in Natasha Romanoff? As in Black Widow?" The kid asked me, and I shrugged. I had no idea what Seth had in mind when he called me that. Although I would never in this life admit it, it was actually pretty cool. "I'm Scott."

I gave him a confused look, and nodded.

The old man mentioned that the room was only his and the Scott's, but I could've sworn that Seth mentioned something about a girl driving the RV. I didn't know if it was the best to bring it up, given the circumstances, but I had to win their trust. I had to make them feel like I was one of them, so I could run away with the bearer bonds. "Seth." I gestured for him to come closer so I could whisper my thoughts. Once I told him, he nodded and asked the man about the girl.

"She went for a grocery run for the motor home. She won't be back for hours." He said, which got Richie all tensed up.

"He's lying. Call her." He demanded, and the old man complied. No answer. Both of the brothers were loosing their patience, and I knew for a fact that that only meant more problems. I looked around the room, and saw a bra laying in the bathroom sink.

"She's probably at the pool." I suggested.

"I'll go get her." Seth proceeded to leave but froze for a second. "Actually... You go get her, Richie. You spent enough time in hotels today." I exhaled with relief, as Cyclops left the room. There was something eerie about the mixed feelings I had about him. Although he scared me, I kept on having the gut sense that he wasn't actually going to hurt me. All this happened right after the vision-like state I was in. I decided to blame it on the trauma I didn't have enough time to process.