Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII: Are you insane like me?

The Fullers refused to drink with us. They were upset, angry maybe about the fact that they were still being held in this place against their wish. I, on the other hand, was having the time of my life. I put my worries aside, making space for fun. Richie had left to cool down a bit after getting into a fight with his older brother. I had no idea how they managed to get out of robberies safely before they met me, because the brothers always fought about the smallest things. Seth refilled my glass once again. I had no idea what I was drinking, but it had a bitter taste to it. Though, after the fourth shot, my mouth numbed.

"Never thought we'd end up here, all of us at the same table. Even you, Romanoff." Seth told me. I narrowed my eyes at him. He didn't learn anything about me on our trip. I was a fun person, even more fun before everything that had happened. I just couldn't find the will to do it again. My brother always used to bring me with him at every party he went to, we spent so many nights playing board games, doing karaoke. Back then I didn't need alcohol to loosen up. Desperate diseases should've had desperate remedies.

"You're not that bad yourself." I laughed. Although Richie was the crazy one, Seth was the brother who angered me the most. One second he was an unbearable jackass, the other second he was being nice. It was probably the alcohol that made him act like we were friends. Kate rolled her eyes, then got up and left. This wasn't the safest place on earth for her to just get away from us. I respected her decision though. It wasn't my business to babysit her, or anyone. As a matter of fact, no one's blood was on my hands. I never killed anyone. Gosh, I hated the Gecko brothers with every molecule in my body for making me think that there was something wrong with me. I was just a normal human who got caught in their tricky web. Richie was the one who should've felt guilty for what he did, not me.

Both Jacob and Scott were sitting in silence. After a while, the kid took his shot glass and filled it. He stared at it for a moment, then emptied it in his mouth. He started coughing uncontrollably, and I could not help but smile. I wondered if this was his first shot ever. His father started lecturing him, making Scott feel embarrassed.

"Why?" Seth cleared his throat, making me shift my attention back to him.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused. The older Gecko shook his head and smiled.

"Why did you want to rob the bank? I mean don't get me wrong but it was a pretty huge gig, and I know most of the people in this business. Hell, I even married one." He emptied yet another glass.

"You're married?" My mouth dropped. The more you knew. Seth didn't look like the type who would settle down, mostly because he enjoyed the thrill. I've noticed that sparkle in his eyes a few times.

"No, I'm divorced. Hey, hey! That was not the question." He pointed his index finger at me. I shrugged. I didn't plan on telling the truth again to make a fool of myself. Again. That shit was overrated. I looked around to see if Kate was anywhere in sight. "Maybe you should start looking for another job, this one is beyond you. I mean you've got some skills but you lack vision."

I fixed him with a cold stare, trying to analyse what he had told me. He had the nerve to point out things that were not even true, then get mad at me for getting angry. He had it coming for so long.

"What did you say?! Listen here you piece of shit, if it weren't for me–" I got up and slammed both of my palms on the table. Although I got dizzy, I could still keep my balance.