Chapter XIV

Chaptet XIV: In the end

For the first time in the past year I finally felt a little progress in my mission. Although there was no sign of Jared anywhere, I knew that I would find him and change him for the best. Or at least I could try. He was still my brother dispite everything that I've found out about him. My new plan was to chase down Malvado, in order to find Jared. My brother was the best at erasing his tracks, so I hoped that the other guy was at least a bit sloppier. Santanico didn't offer me much details about the guy, but I assumed he was a culebra too.

The girl didn't tell me anything about Seth's plan either, but I hoped it was good. I decided not to ask her about it, because of the looks she gave me before he left. I didn't want to make her question things about my relationship with the older Gecko. There was nothing between us. This place brought us closer by challenging our beliefs and morals. I was sure that once we got out of here, our dynamic would go back to normal. However normal would look like after everything we'd witnessed.

My shoulder was still hurting, but not as bad as before. Perhaps I got used to the constant pain. Santanico's bed was comfortable, but not comfortable enough to make me want to stay put. I got off the bed, wanting to look around more. Who would've thought that this was actually an ancient temple hiding things underneath?

The girl was sitting in a chair, checking herself in the mirror. She must've felt so relieved that she could finally be free. I couldn't imagine myself doing what she was forced to do. There it was, the sympathy for the devil. Although I didn't tell her, I really appreciated her help. She could've let me die, and yet she didn't.

She was anxious. I noticed the way she twirled a strand of her silky hair between two fingers, staring into emptiness. For some reason I didn't worry about the brothers. I trusted their skills, after all they robbed many places before we met. They were famous for it. Although it was a little different when your brother's life was at stake.

"You should rest." Santanico told me, making me wince. Her voice echoed in the silence that was set in the room. She was looking at me through the mirror.

Culebras. I wondered what it felt like to be a serpent. It was a curiosity I couldn't contain within the walls of my mind. It ran free. Maybe Jared thought the same, and finally gave in. For this reason I had to promise myself I wouldn't do the same. Power was something I didn't need, nor want. If I could get this far as a human, I was already strong enough. Or at least this was what I liked to believe.

"I'm good." I said, watching her from the same corner. It was hard to comprehend how such a beautiful person was actually an ancient creature. Like art, she was tragic and yet intriguing.

She got up, approaching me. "Okay then, I want to show you something."

Santanico walked past me into the main room where the culebras attacked everyone. I followed her like a lost puppy, wondering if she randomly decided to kill me. We took a turn to the left and entered a separated place meant for private dances. There was a door there. She took out a key and unlocked it. As we stepped inside a familiar scent hit me. It was a smaller room than hers, and the walls were covered with a few posters of Billy Idol, The Cure and Metallica. My heart stopped beating for a brief second. It must've been Jared's room. The fact that he turned a cave chamber into a modern looking room amazed me. It sort of felt like home. Sort of.

The serpent crossed her hands at her chest, waiting for me to say something. I was speechless. It was pretty dark inside, and I couldn't see much but on his desk I noticed a pile of papers. It hit me now that this was probably where he spent his nights when he told me he had to help his friends. It was insane, and cruel. A strong feeling of betrayal started to fill my heart up. I thought he trusted me with everything. Maybe it was my fault, as Santanico said he initially done this to protect me. I could've helped him somehow.