Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI: Losing my religion

They say that change must come from within. Although they are right, I found changing my appearance much easier. Whilst I was sitting on the not so comfortable chair at the salon we were planning on robbing, Seth investigated the scenery. At first I wanted to get some braids done, but decided that cutting my hair would be more appropriate. It made dealing with stuff more bearable.

The woman who was cutting my hair bragged about how she was tired of american girls in spanish, and couldn't help but let out a quiet laugh. I didn't speak the language but I did understand it quite well. Ironic how this american girl would ruin their day soon.

It was ideal when they talked shit, it made what we did slightly satisfying. The guilt I could've felt by doing it disappeared instantly, being taken over by contentment. I wasn't proud of it, but it didn't make me want to throw up like it once did either.

I was different back then.

Once she was done, I checked the results in the mirror. This haircut did a perfect job at showing whom I became; a tougher version of the young and clueless Trixie Martin. Smiling, I paid the woman the amount of money she asked for, then walked outside to find Seth. The boost of confidence could've been seen in the way I walked; like I ruled the place.

The older Gecko moved from where I last seen him, so I wandered around the crowded placed looking for him. A small souvenir shop caught my eyes. I stepped inside admiring the candles, the rosaries and incense sticks they had on display. It was beautiful, though I couldn't say that religion was my thing.

Not after what I witnessed.

"¿Estás buscando algo?" The young man asked. I shook my head. I didn't look for something in particular, but there was a strangeness about this place that drawled me in. "You don't really speak spanish, don't you?"

"Right, but I can understand it." I grinned, as I picked up a pack of jasmine incense sticks. Our room always smelled weird because we rarely opened the windows. Seth decided that it wasn't safe for us to be accidentally seen or heard, so I went with it even though it would've been nice to breathe fresh air every morning. "Slow day?"

"You can say that." He smiled back at me, as I placed the sticks on the counter. The guy seemed to be around my age. We locked eyes for a moment, but his stare lacked vitality. A certain emptiness that reminded me of every culebra I have encountered.

Suddenly I was taken back to all the bloody events I have experienced, within seconds I relieved everything. I shook my head, as if the action itself could've erased my memory.

I studied him for a moment, he couldn't be one. They usually kept themselves in the shadows, hidden; not out here working. I forced a smile, trying to prevent an awkward scene. It seemed that I knew nothing about them after all, and that thought frightened me.

Perhaps I was imagining things, or so I wanted to believe. Thinking that my mind didn't work properly was less complicated than accepting that maybe they were everywhere.

"Maybe we can grab a drink sometimes." He suggested, but my mind was already making up scenarios where I ended up drained out of blood in a pit; a place where no one could ever find me.

Dying alone was one of my biggest fears.

"Or maybe not." A familiar voice answered. I turned around to see Seth crossing his arms at his chest. He had a serious allure that was similar to jealousy, but it couldn't be that. The older Gecko had no reason to be jealous, definitely not on a random guy I've just met. "Come on, Trixie. We've got work to do."