Chapter VII

Chapter VII: Wanted Dead or Alive

TW: mention of suicide

"...crazy."

"How do..."

"...not...alive"

"He lives."

I opened my eyes to the image of Seth and Richie arguing over something. The light in the RV was dim, making it easier for my eyes to adjust to it. I noticed on a small window that it was already dark outside. The RV didn't move any more. We were parked somewhere. There were muffled voices outside, and music. I narrowed my eyes.

"Look who decided to join us! Your Majesty." Seth mocked me by slightly bowing. My head was aching, but it might have been from the fainting. It bothered me that they didn't even try to wake me up. They must've thought I was weak for passing out like that.

The images of everything that happened at the border started replaying in my head, as I looked down. I was still covered in blood. That guy, Mark, there was something familiar about him that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Something about his eyes. If what they said about eyes being the mirror of the soul was true, that man had none. Emptiness. Not even a shimmer or glow in them. The creepiest part about all that wasn't the way Mark shot his mate, but how he called me by my first name. Just like Richie. There was no way he could've known my name, and yet he did.

I couldn't understand how or why these things kept happening to me. The guy clearly deserved it. But poor Monica didn't, and it still killed me on the inside that I couldn't help her. Her blood was on my hands. Maybe I was weak, and all that I had was sarcasm. Nothing more. I was a fool for thinking that I could do something on my own. It was pretty obvious that this game was out of my league.

No.

Jared. I had to keep up this charade just a little bit longer. For my brother. I could feel that he was still alive despite the so called suicide letter. They haven't found a body, and most of the things he wrote just didn't add up. He just wasn't the type to give up easily. He mentioned gambling, and drug addiction which I knew, for a fact, it wasn't true. So how could I give up on the idea that he was dead, when I knew that the whole letter was a bunch of bullshit. Something else was going on.

"Now that we're all present, this is how things are gonna go." Seth stopped as if he was waiting for me to brag about something. I looked over my shoulder to check on how Scott was doing, and I was pleasantly surprised to see him holding up pretty good. "First of all, Bloody Mary should change her costume. I'm sure Kate has somewhere around here a bunch of spare clothes. Then we'll head in there--" Seth gestured towards what looked like a club. "-- to finish our deal. You'll be free once we finish our business."

I scoffed, crossing my arms. "Don't you think it's kind of shady? The place I mean. What kind of business takes place in a—" I squinted my eyes a little to see what was going on outside. "—a strip club?"

Richie narrowed his eyes, but didn't say anything. He watched his brother as if he was waiting for him to agree with me. I could see Seth's jaw clenching.

"Should I remind you that it's none of your business? Now, Kate, give her something to put on." Seth spat, snapping his fingers impatiently. He turned around to have another look at the nasty place.

"Hey, Seth. You forget one thing, I deserve a cut. I saved your–"

"You know what, Miss Sunshine? It's time you learn a valuable lesson. Life ain't always fair, ok? Just get over it 'cause you're not gonna see anything, capiche?" Seth turned back around to face me. He was dead serious. All this time spent on trying to steal the bearer bonds from them was for nothing. Even expecting them to give me a small cut was a foolish thought. I should've seen it coming.