Chapter XI

Chapter XI: Smooth Criminal

My heart was racing inside my chest. He was alive, my beloved brother. Whatever I've done wasn't in vain. The little spark of hope I felt had turned into a fire. Santanico was probably right about him trying to protect me from whatever this was, but she didn't know me or the lengths that I would go to for him. An uneasy feeling lurked inside my brain making me wonder if he turned into one of them. A vampire, or a snake. It couldn't be possible, I knew him. He was better than that.

As I was standing on the ground, staring into nothingness and rearranging my thouths, Seth grabbed the ranger and slammed him on the bar counter. For a brief second I forgot about the whole situation. There were so many things we didn't know about, and killing the only guy that could help us escape this madness wouldn't fix it. After all, he showed up out of nowhere. He surely explored more of this place than we did.

"You're not a thinking man, are you? If you were, you would've let this go." Seth was holding the machete against the ranger's throat. "No, but you're like one of those junkyard dogs, right? Just can't stay on your leash."

Seeing Seth get so angry made me realize a thing. He was furious and hurt yes, but he didn't kill him. Seth was threatening him, giving him a chance to explain his stupid action instead of slashing his neck in a second. Unlike me, he possessed a lot more self control. His muscles were visibly flexed. Even his jaw was clenched, and although he wasn't facing me, I was sure that his eyes were the blackest they'd ever been. The Geckos had it coming, no matter what the situation was. After all, they robbed the bank and killed Monica. At least one of them was a bit of a serial killer.

Kate approached me, watching the scene closer. Her father was holding the shotgun barrel pressed onto Seth's back. She softly placed her hand on my shoulder, as if my aura could protect her from the evil that kept on spreading. I looked around for Scott but didn't see him. I was so sorry for Kate because I knew how she felt, and how hurt she was inside even though she didn't show it. Seeing her scared and in pain made me feel guilty for the ounce of happiness I was experiencing.

"I came to do what I got to do, and I ain't leaving till I do it." The ranger spat. Although he was standing his ground with confidence, he was a little scared of what Seth could've done. I was no fool. I knew that if he wanted the ranger dead, he would've been dead.

Seth shook his head, tightening his grip around the machete handle. He was hesitant, but if pushed, he could've done it nonetheless. It probably wasn't the first time he killed someone. I expected nothing good from either one of the brothers.

"Let him go." Kate's dad said. He was serious. I've never seen this side of him, but everyone had that darkness they tried to contain within, in a latent state. Even the priest. For some, it was just a matter of time until they let it go. Jacob seemed distracted ever since we've met him, claiming that it was God who punished him. Whatever he went through, marked him. No one in this room was a righteous person. No one. We've all done questionable things that stained our impeccable morals.

"This ain't your fight, padre." Seth replied without looking at him.

"He might know a way out." Kate intervened. I was so glad she decided to break out of her shy shell. Apparently we were the only ones thinking straight. And yet, I couldn't blame Seth for going through a bunch of emotions. I've been there.

Seth turned his head to face us. He looked exactly like how I imagined he would, blinded by hatred. He wasn't dumb, he knew what he had to do. I took a step in his direction, a part of me wanted to punch him so bad that the sense could come back to him, but the other side wanted to comfort him. These kind of thoughts were poisonous for my brain, even affecting my heart. I had to stop seeing him as a victim.