Satyavati's Expectations

Hastinapur

"When I'm with you, all I feel is happiness. I feel content in your arms Satyavati" 

Satyavati looks away from the man beside her, too shy to look into his eyes. He gently pulls her closer to him, "The kingdom, battle victories, riches or royalty, none can compare to you, my love. You complete me, you make me content."

He looks around at the gentle waves surrounding their boat and places a kiss on her delicate hand, "What more could one wish for, Satyavati?"

Satyavati replies, "Worth, my dear King. When you have nothing but struggle written in your destiny, you desire all the fame, riches and royalty" 

Shantanu looked at her in surprise, "Trust me, none of it is worth more than peace." 

Satyavati looks him in the eye, "Those who have all the happiness in the world may value peace, whereas those who have only peace, they want all the happiness first. Happiness often comes at a price, am I wrong King Shantanu?" 

Shantanu laughed and was about to reply when they heard the water ripple behind them. Just as they turned towards the sound, a massive golden fish soars over their heads and splashes back into the water.

Satyavati immediately picks up her fishing net and spear. Observing this the Shantanu asks, "What are you doing, my love?" 

"Capturing my happiness," 

She throws her spear into the water which changes to a deep red color. Knowing she hit her mark, Satyavati tugs at the rope attached to her end of the spear. As the creature struggles to free itself, the boat starts shaking. 

"Let go Satyavati! The animal is too powerful, your delicate hands aren't meant to capture it." 

Satyavati continues pulling, unaffected by the King's words, "I, daughter of the Chief Fisherman of Hastinapur will prove what these hands are capable of." 

She keeps pulling with all her might, yet struggles to hold on to the animal. The boat starts shaking violently and Shantanu tries to hide his worry. He moves forward to help Satyavati but she stops him, "Stop! King Shantanu, I do not wish for anyone's help. I am capable of fighting my own battles."

Shantanu conceals his growing irritation at her stubbornness and requests, "Let it go sweetheart, I will have my men capture it for you." 

She replies, "I cannot wait until then. I must take this opportunity, for I may not get it again" Shantanu watches with grudging admiration as a few moments later she succeeds in killing the mighty animal and brings it onto the land all by herself.

Later---

Satyavati is sitting on a boulder, watching as some men take the fish away. Shantanu sits down beside her and takes her hands in his. He frowns and shakes his head before applying an ointment to her bleeding hands.

"I was unaware that these delicate hands held so much strength." 

"King Shantanu, you are the ruler of the great kingdom Hastinapur, you must know that strength lies within our hearts, not in our hands. Desire is the strength of our heart." 

"Desire," He holds her hands in his and places a soft kiss on her forehead, "It is only advisable to desire for that which fits in the palm of your hand."

She smiles, "God has given us such small eyes, yet these eyes have the power to see the entire sky. How can I have desire for something small and insult God's creations?"