The Wound of Revenge

That night after the wedding ---

Gandhari waits for her husband, seated on the large bed in the center of the room. The room has been decorated grandly for the newly wed couple. She feels extremely nervous when she hears someone enter the room and sit beside her. 

Sugda starts helping Gandhari remove her ornaments. Gandhari realizes it is only Sugda and says," Sugda, this outfit does not seem right for tonight " Sugda replies slightly confused, "Not right?" Gandhari shakes her head. 

Sugda smiles, "This dress is extremely gorgeous, it has red pearls, yellow thread work and netted sleeves, in this dark chamber, the reflection of the candles makes it look as though you are made of gold." Gandhari puts her head down and says, "Looks? Who will be able to see it Sugda?  For my husband this is all a waste" Sugda's eyes fill with tears and she says, " Princess but- " 

Gandhari cuts her off, " and from today material things have no value even for me! " 

After a long pause she says, "Deck me up with flowers Sugda... those which are soft and have good fragrance, attach small bells in my dress so that my husband hears them and feels charmed, what is the use of ornaments which will make my husband remember that he is blind! " 

Sugda places her hand on Gandhari's shoulder and then leaves the room .

On Ganga's riverbank ---

Bhishma is standing on the shore and watching as the waves lap onto each other when his Mother Goddess Ganga appears beside him

He says, " Good Evening mother, " 

Ganga nods and says, "Son , have you come to speak to your mother today? " 

Bhishma replies, "No mother, today I just wish to dip in the holy Ganga waters and wash off the sin I have committed. " 

Ganga immediately says, "You are my son Devdrath , you cannot have committed any sin." 

Bhishma sighs and replies, "I have committed one mother, for the sake of Hastinapur's future, today I have sacrificed a woman's happiness! I did not even ask for her opinion! I did not even try to find out whether Gandhari wished to get married to a blind man or not! " Ganga smiles and asks, "Did she protest against it? "