Chapter 14

I sat in a large room, ink pen and paper laid out in front of me. My father had arranged for me to get tutored, and because Alyssa was in town I had nothing better to do.

If I said I was adapting to my new lifestyle, I'd be lying. It's so hard, having to wake up early, go to series of classes, and go to sleep late. Being an only child isn't helping either, because I'm so used to being around other children.

I had 4 tutors, one for history, one for maths, one who would always scold me and a new addition, I think it was English. Every single day dragged on twice as long, and I had to find different ways to make me feel not as lonely.

The large door opened quickly, and in walked a middle aged women in heels. She had ginger hair which was slicked back, and sophisticated looking clothes on.

"Hello dear, please call me Ms Smith," She introduced, holding out a hand for me to shake poshly. She didn't seem particularly nice, but at the same time she hadn't done anything wrong.

"Hi Ms Smith, I'm Luciana Grace," I quietly spoke back as she sat down opposite me. She set up a whole bunch of books, pulling out rows and rows of different ink's. Different pen's to acquire it.

"I've been asked to focus on English, so that's what we'll do. Have you read any books lately?" I nodded slightly, keeping my back straight and chin up. My other tutor had screamed at me when I slumped in my seat.

"Yeah, I do read a lot. But I'm more of a writer," I informed, putting my hands in my lap and playing with them.

"Good. So considering you write, I want you to write a narrative right now. You have an hour." Ms Smith said suddenly and my eyes widened. Sure, I wrote but not under pressure. No way.

"Write about what?" I asked, looking right at her with panic evident on my face. She smiled smugly at me, seemingly proud to be on the spot torturing me.

"Anything you want, a past experience might help." She suggested, but still had that look in her eye. I nodded, picking up the pen as Ms Smith told me to begin.

I sat there for 10 minutes, unable to think of anything. Until an idea popped into my head and I wrote as quickly as I could.

My fingers were numb, and ached every time I'd write another word. Deep inside of me though, I found the effort to keep going.

I stood behind a tall woman and man, with kind faces and pretty smiles to acquire it. I had been crying for over half and hour, and I wasn't able to stop.

My father had just left me, sent me to live with a different family I didn't even know them.

The tears were staining my cheeks as 4 children walked down the long spacious stairs to meet their parents. One was about my age, and the rest looked younger.

"Hello children. This is Luciana, and she'll be living with us from now on." The kind man said as the women smiled down to me.

"Be nice." She spoke after him. "And gentle." The eldest boy smirked at me, his eyes full of mischief.

"Hi" I whispered so quietly, I wasn't even sure if I had actually spoken. But one of the girl's face lit up and the boy's smirk grew wider.

"Hello. I'm Simon, that's Tora, Eric and Lily." The boy, Simon said. I nodded in return but looked to the ground. I wanted to cry.

"Hi," I squeaked out again without realising. The kids laughed at me, and I wanted to shrink into the floor. I wanted the floor boards to swallow me.

"You already said that." Lily told me matter-a-factly but was scolded by their father. "Your mother said 'be nice', children."

"It doesn't matter." I responded quickly, finally making eye contact with the nice man. "Simon, show Lucy to her room please." The women spoke back up as she handed me my bag. Simon watched me, judging me as he led me up some stairs.

When I almost got to the top, I lost my footing and tripped. My knee ran straight into the next step as I came crashing down with it. Simon watched and tried to contain his laughter but this only caused me to start crying.

I was sick of crying. It was loud, and it shook the house, rippling through the air.

"Sorry." Simon apologised quickly, but I could still see the amusement in his eyes. He tried to help me up but I pushed him away from me.

"No, it's okay." I responded quietly, back to my usual tone. "I just hurt myself." I continue, lying, and my crying doesn't once falter.

"Time's up." Ms Smith's voice rung loudly in my ears, like a siren. I jumped at the sound of it, the pencil dropping beside me as she snatched the paper from my hands.

I had written about the day my life changed. I had written about the day I was so much more vulnerable. I had written about the day I came to the Brown's house.

It was subconsciously though, as I didn't originally intend to write about it. It just...happened. Am I happy it happened? I'm not quite sure.

Ms Smith's eyes scanned over my paper quickly as she nodded her head in approval, placing it back in front of me. "We'll go over it tomorrow. Class is over." With that, she disappeared.

I glanced at the paper for a while before grabbing it and wandering off to my fathers study. I grabbed an envelope, wrote the Brown's address on it and mailed it to them.

I promised myself that as long as I was here, I wouldn't let anyone change me. Not even the slightest bit.