Chapter 20

I climb up onto the sink and pop open the tiny window. I use all my arm strength to pull myself up and wiggle halfway through. I grab a piece of metal stuck in the ground and pull myself out. I stand up dusting myself off. I was on the roof. I groan and I walk to the edge and see Ryan standing outside with a cigarette between his teeth. I tried to jump back before he had seen me but it was too late.

I groan as I heard him yell my name. I run until I met the edge of the other side. I slid off my heels and tossed them on the ground. I backed up and took a running start jumping. I nearly didn't make it. I landed on the edge. I keep running and jumping Ryan close behind. I was met with the biggest gap I've crossed. I yank around seeing Ryan jump across to the same building as me. I began to back up.

I counted the steps back.

1.
2.
3
4.

I thought there was a 5
There wasn't.

My bare feet slip off the edge of the building letting out a scream. "AMELIA!" I hear Ryan yell running to the edge grabbing my hand. "Let me fall." I say not thinking. "What? No!" He says looking me in the eyes. "I'd rather die then spend any time with you. Let! Me! Go!" I yell letting my mind talk.

"I won't." He says holding tighter as he pulls me up with minimal effort. I felt my body go limp and I fell to the ground. Tears fell down my face. "Why couldn't you let go? End my suffering?!" I yelled I couldn't take it anymore. I was hurting. I've gone numb to it by now. But it still hurts. "Because I love you!" He yells "Funny way of showing it!" I yell. "Well if I let you go I'll lose you! I'm not ready to lose you." He says.

I looked at him and he was looking at me. I didn't know what to say. What to think. How to respond to what he had said. "I knew I loved you the moment I saw you. I would've let you go in the first place but my brain wouldn't let me. I just couldn't." He continued. "I want to see my mom." I say. "What?" He asks.