Chapter 10

"No, you divide by 6, not 8." Calum sighs, sounding defeated with my progress, or lack-there of. He gently drops his pencil to the desk, trying not to let too much annoyance show. I erase my previous mistakes and give the equation another go, earning a smile from Calum when I produce the correct answer. I continue onto the next question, hoping I can keep my winning streak for a few more equations. 

"Hey, um listen." Calum says quietly, shuffling in his seat beside me. "There's this thing tonight - a party thing. I didn't know if parties were your thing or not, but I'm taking a leap of faith by asking if maybe to wanted to go?" His voice grows quiet, and he squeaks out, "-with me?" I chuckle quietly at his nervousness. "Just as friends, of course." He quickly adds. 

I stay silent and pick up my pencil, writing a large 'YES' on the paper in front of us. His grin expands as he reads the letters and a new found confidence ignites within him.

"It starts in a couple of hours. We could finish this sheet and then go together perhaps?" I nod and continue on with my work sheet, wanting to get it done as soon as possible.  

*****

The only daunting aspect of my first real party would be trying to convince my dad to let me go. I wasn't sure how to go about seeking his permission, but figured honesty would be the best option. I pad down the hall in the direction of his office, making a mental list of all the benefits and party could offer: socializing, experience that could be used in future novels, and the opportunity to test my boundaries. 

"Hey Dad." I whisper, gently knocking on the door of his study. I wait a few moments before walking in. 

"What's up Dyl?" He asks, keeping his eyes glued to the page of a book he is holding. 

"I have a question ..." I pause, waiting for a cautious reaction. He doesn't say anything, so I am forced to continue on with my plea. "Could I maybe go to a party tonight? I was invited by some friends from school-"

"Finally." He sighs, placing a bookmark in his novel and putting it on his desk.

"I'm sorry, what did you say? I can go?" I say, sounding astonished. "No interrogation? No warnings? No questions?" I am slightly disappointed by his eager acceptance. I was hoping for warnings, some sort of overbearing, fatherly speech. 

"If you wanted an interrogation, all you had to do was ask." He grins back, about to spew a speech I'm sure has been well rehearsed. "Are you going to be drinking?" I shake my head as a reply. I've never had a proper drink before so I don't think I'll be starting tonight. "Are you going to be doing drugs?" He asks further. 

"No!" I exclaim. "I'm not stupid!" He nods but continues nonetheless.

"Going to have sex?"

"No!" I scream, covering my face with my hands, absolutely mortified by the comment. 

"Then why are you even going?" He laughs in my face, making me realize how much of a joke his interrogation was. I roll my eyes and make my way of of his study just as he picks his book back up and resumes his reading. 

"Don't stay out too late!" I hear him yell from down the hall. "And don't have too much fun without me!" I roll my eyes for a second time and enter my room. When I do, I find Calum near my bookshelf, running his fingers over my very-filled bookshelf.

"You know," he pipes up when he notices my presence. "You remind me a lot of Luke." Surprised by his comment I scoff, not quite understanding.

"With the books I mean, the reading ." He adds, thinking he offended me. "You ready?" He quickly changes the subject and turns to face me.