Chapter 11: Thawed (End)

A week's passed since Taiga was "welcomed" abroad. She been getting to know some of the division commanders and the crew, but she mainly steers clear of them, staying close to Ace and Thatch.

The sun was once again going to rest and it slowly tucked itself under the blankets created by the waves of the ocean. Taiga leaned against the railing of the ship, the ocean breeze pushing against her face.

Probably around 11:30 pm by now, after staying there ever since sunset, which meant most of crew had gone to sleep.

"Taiga?"

Except for him. She's heard her name in his voice so many times by now, she knows it by heart.

"Yes, Ace?"

"You're still awake?" He questioned.

"Yup. Couldn't sleep again. My body's weakening."

"Why?"

"Can't tell you, Ace. Classified." She smiled. "But doesn't this give you deja vu?"

He nodded. "Yes, but I want to know everything about you. Please, just tell me."

"Ace..." Taiga looked down. "Haven't I told you? I can't tell you everything. You won't accept it. I'm not the person you think you know. You won't believe me."

"I don't care if I don't understand or not. I don't care if it's something that could make me hate you. Because it won't. I could never hate you. Even after everything we've been through, even if I've only known you for a week, there's no doubt that it's impossible for me to hate you."

Taiga remained silent, a look of regret and sorrow present in her normally dull steel blue eyes. 
"How can you say that with such confidence?" She whispered. "You don't know me or my past. You've only barely scratched the surface."

"Because you stole my heart of fire, Taiga."

"What...?"

"And I was finally able to melt away the ice that encased yours." He grinned cheekily.

"Gosh, you're such a dork. But that doesn't answer my question. How can you be so confident that you won't-" she suddenly stopped and fell to her knees. "Shit...my body won't last much longer. I can't do much about it either..."

"Taiga? Are you alright?"

"Boy. Do I look alright?"

She certainly didn't. Her face was pale, her body trembling, her temperature burning, her breath heavy.

"Taiga... whats happening? Please, tell me!"

"There's not enough time. I've almost reached my limit."

"Taiga... no... are you gonna die?"

"Not die. Fade. My body can no longer bear the burden of carrying my spirit anymore."

"Taiga, I don't know what you're talking about, but you better not die!"

Taiga's voice trembled when she laughed. "Told you you wouldn't get it."

Ace growled. "I don't care if I don't get it! I'd be devastated if you die... so please... don't die on me... I've lost so much... I don't want to lose you too..."