Men Are From Mars/My Watty Boy

mars, as some of us know, is the roman god of war. if you've read books like Percy Jackson and the Olympians, you'll know that each roman god/goddess has a Greek side. mars' flip side is Ares. Ares loves the goddess of love, Aphrodite. unfortunately for him, she's married to Hephaestus, god of fire. instead of being a good boy and staying away from the pretty lady, he just can't keep it in his pants. he has several affairs with her, kisses her in public, takes the slut on dates, etc.

does this sound familiar, ladies? how many times have you heard the same scenarios with wattpad lads? the hunky bad boys of the popular crowd, dating several girls at once, not caring whether they have a girlfriend or if the girl they're hooking up with for the night has a significant other, constantly getting into fights, skipping classes and detention, etc...

We've all seen these guys in stories before. all the teen fiction novels have them. now I ask the question WHY.

seriously. what's so endearing about a guy who's constantly getting in trouble and cheating? thinking from a realistic POV, you must realize that that kind of guy would only land you in the principal's office, not the magical place in a corner of your mind while you sit in a ferris wheel, making out, skipping class, and enjoying the view.

is it just because we ladies like looking for guys who need fixing? some tweaking here and there? we see the guy who looks the worst and decide that he's the one we want?

good luck, hun. you'll need it.

in most stories, the bad boy usually seems to have a soft spot for the girl. as in, "they're part of a gang where they regularly shoot people who bother them. This girl is really annoying, but he just cant bring himself to punch her in the face." in stories like "Hey Mr. Rock Star, meet Ms. Trouble" or "Better Than Revenge" you'll find that this really isn't the case. but I'm speaking generally. very generally.

but for novels like "Queen of Spades" or "An Endless Serenade" it's pretty true.

I'm not saying I dislike this stereotype. It just gets sort of boring after a while. you know what I mean.

post opinions below ;)

ScLoLi