Chapter 12

"I could be studying for my psychology test that is on Monday."

"You really wouldn't be studying. You should be thanking me for making your procrastination worthwhile."

Remember the small family gathering Conrad was supposed to text me the details about? What Conrad did put in the text was the time and dress code of the family event but what he so stupidly left out was the type of event I was attending with him. I did ask him about it a few times but he refused to tell me and now I know why.

There are church bells ringing. Bouquets of floral arrangements at either side of the aisle in a chapel. Guests wearing their absolute best. He invited me to his parents vow renewal and reception.

"If I told you what it really was going on you would not have shown up."

"This is true. So you thought lying to me was the better option?"

"Yes. I know weddings and marriages really freak you out. I thought this could help with your slight phobia. I still don't understand why you have it."

"It is a long story. You could have made me watch a wedding planning show or movie to start with and not throw me into the deep end."

"We will talk about this later. The wedding is about to start and I have to leave you now because I am my father's best man."

"Conrad, are you serious? Don't leave me!"

I could not really shout and scream because that would attract unwanted attention. The last thing would be to embarrass myself at an event I knew nothing about. It was a small ceremony with no more than 50 people so a whisper is like speaking through a megaphone. I can't believe Conrad invited me to something so serious to dump me and I have to awkwardly sit with people I don't know and pretend like I knew all along what was going on. The people are all Conrad's parents' age or older so I am feeling really uncomfortable and out of place. I am really too young to be here.

As much as I want to barf, the moment is really sweet. Conrad's parents still look like they are still in love just by the way they are looking at each other. It was probably the first time I was actually glad to attend a wedding. It made me think that maybe one day I would really love to have a moment like this. Not anytime soon, maybe I am going crazy but I would also be okay if it does not happen. So basically marriage is an option and not a destination.

I am spending the weekend at Conrad's family holiday home. Just one of the many homes they have. Conrad is the youngest of three boys. To make me feel more comfortable, I am staying in the outside cottage where I can escape the testosterone overload. I wore a knee-length black tight dress with nude stiletto heels. You must be asking yourself, who wears black to a wedding specifically if you are a girl. Well, if I knew about the vow renewal I would have chosen a brighter colour. I know to some people it really isn't a big deal, but colours really matter to me. Look at me sounding like a bridezilla already. Anyway, black is usually safe except when it comes to weddings and all-white parties.

The dress has an invisible zip at the back but I am having trouble opening it. I am sure I have gained weight from the 5-course meal we had this afternoon. Asking Conrad's mum to do it would be ideal but I am pretty sure she is having the time of her life in the master bedroom two floors up. I might have forgotten to mention that Conrad lives in a beachside mansion. I do not really know any of his brothers that well so the best thing to do is swallow my pride and go ask Conrad for help. If I didn't feel like I am bursting at the seams I would have probably slept with the dress on. I silently knock on the door 3 times. I hear a bit of shuffling and then an agreement for me to enter.