Chapter 6

The next morning, Kali got up early before the Tweedys and went out to the huts as the chickens were gathered together waiting for Rocky to teach them to fly. 

Kali found Ginger and Nobby and stood by them. "Morning, how's it going?" she asked them. 

"Mr Rhodes is about to give a speech" Ginger explained. 

"I can't wait to start flying" Nobby added. 

"Oh.. yeah right... flying" Kali chuckled nervously, knowing that she nor Rocky had told Ginger chickens couldn't fly. Even though Kali did also tell Ginger about her friends Rocko the flying penguin and Dumbo the flying elephant. 

"So, you wanna fly?" Rocky told the hens. "Well it ain't gonna be easy and it ain't gonna happen over night either. You see flying takes three things, hard work, perseverance and... hard work". 

"You said hard work twice" Fowler called out from his hut. 

"That's because it takes twice as much work as perseverance" Rocky answered. 

"Sure that makes sense" Kali said sarcastically to herself. 

Rocky then licked his finger and showed it to the crowd of hens, they laughed but it made Fowler upset. 

"Codswallop!" Fowler shouted, he then went back inside his hut, grumbling. 

"When will he ever learn" Nobby said about Fowler. 

"Now the most important thing is we have to work as a team" Rocky said, as the hens nodded in agreement. "Which means you do everything I tell you" Rocky finished. 

"I guess that makes sense" said Nobby. But Ginger and Kali seemed a bit hesitant about that statement. 

"Alright let's rock and roll!" Rocky prompted, getting the hens started with some flying exercises. 

The chickens would copy everything Rocky did, even when he winced in pain from his sprained wing. Kali found it ridiculous the chickens had to go through with this, when she and Rocky were the only ones who knew chickens couldn't fly.

Kali would see Rocky look over at Ginger from time to time, he seemed to be taking a liking to the feisty hen with green eyes. Kali also kept a lookout for the Tweedys while the chickens continued their flying exercises. There were times the tomboy even turned on her heavy-metal music and joined the chickens in their flying exercises. Her favorite was Taekwon-chicken!

Rocky would get bubble baths and massages every now and then from the hens. But Ginger was starting to have her doubts about Rocky though. 

"I thought you were gonna teach us how to fly" Ginger said to the american rooster. 

"That's what i'm doing" Rocky replied with a cunning smile. 

"Isn't there usually some flapping involved?" Ginger asked while waving her wings slightly. 

"Hey, do I tell you how to lay eggs?" Rocky crossed his legs. "Relax, we're making progress". 

"Really? I can't help thinking they're all going around in circles" Kali said, showing that the rest of the chickens were all spinning around. 

"Can we stop now Mr Rhodes? I'm getting dizzy" said Nobby. 

"I think they're ready to fly now" Rocky told Ginger. 

"Good, cause they certainly can't walk anymore" Ginger scoffed. 

"Up and at'em gals, let's flap!" Rocky urged the hens. 

Kali tried to tell the chickens they were gonna kill themselves but they obviously wouldn't listen. And Kali saw how determined Ginger was for herself and the rest of the flock, and Kali didn't want to break their spirits by telling them they couldn't fly.