One: First Day. (Edited)

First Day.

Piper and I walked down the school halls together in a rush, our heels making a consistent click against the floor as Piper pulled me towards another hallway, one after another. With all of the pulling and turning, I had lost track in my mind of where we had been. We were late because my car hadn't shown up from Rhode Island yet, and Piper's car wouldn't start. It had been a miracle that we could get to the school at the time that we had. Picking up my speed, I went to take a sip of my coffee, only to feel a force slam into me, almost knocking me on my feet, if it hadn't been for Piper holding my wrist in a vice grip. Biting my lip, I had held back the string of profanity that wanted to escape my lips as the scorching coffee landed on my hand. 

"I'm so sorry, Miss!" A voice to my left had rung, pulling me out of my inner thoughts. I gave out a soft sigh and smiled at the student, knowing it wasn't their fault. I gave the young girl a wave before Piper had yanked me away from the situation altogether. Then, inhaling deeply, I pulled back on Piper, bringing her to a halt in the middle of the hallway, forcing her to keep eye contact with me. 

"Piper, relax. Mrs. Tivoli already knows why we're late," 

"I'm aware of her knowing why we're late. She's just hesitant with hiring you because of our old days," Piper sighed out before she turned around and began to walk at a calmer pace. I could understand the fear that Piper may have been in. It's not every day that you hear the story of a trouble maker becoming a teacher at your school, not just one, but that entire group of friends. Following closely behind Piper, we both had finally made it to the front office, where there seemed to be two police officers, Mrs. Tivoli, and a young girl speaking. When Piper and I stepped into the office, it seemed Tivoli had been yelling at the girl, causing me to raise an eyebrow from this. I hadn't heard Tivoli this angry since we had accidentally destroyed the school eight years ago, junior year. 

"I fucking told you, it wasn't me!" The young girl shouted, catching Piper's attention. I watched as Piper's features shifted as she grabbed the paperwork in her box, then turned her attention towards Tivoli and the young girl. Finally, Piper cleared her throat, catching their attention. 

"She's here. I'll be heading to class now," With this, Piper left the office, leaving the four of us in silence. Tivoli gave out a heavy sigh before she turned to face me, a look of irritation at the sight of me had been evident, but it seemed as though she didn't completely recognize who I was. Allowing my eyes to take Tivoli in, I had noticed that while she didn't age well in the last seven years, she was still the same woman who would chase me down the parking lot after a prank I would pull. 

"Annabelle," She started, only to stop when something in her mind had seemed to register. She turned her attention towards the young girl once again before a sly smile tugged at her lips. This caused my eyebrow to raise in question as I stood in silence, waiting for her to say something. Tivoli, what did you have planned out for me? I could only ask myself as she stepped towards me and grabbed my arm in a vice grip. My eyes had grown wide from this. How did she still have a vice grip at her age? "You can deal with her. A Luther is a Luther." 

"Pardon?" The words left my lips in surprise as I gazed at the young girl, giving her a moment of my time to take her in. Her gray eyes with specks of green in them, long, flowing, brown hair, full pink lips, and a small, light cluster of freckles across the middle of her face. Why did this girl look so familiar? Then, shifting my attention to Tivoli, I waited for the older woman to explain what had been happening. Instead, Tivoli's brown eyes rolled before she gave out a sigh. 

"This is Athena. Athena Luther, your sister," My attention shifted back towards the young girl, who had stared at me intently before she looked away after being caught. Reaching out, I grabbed Tivoli's hand and removed it from my arm before I took a drink of my coffee. I didn't know what to do in this sort of situation. If this had been Athena, she was just a little girl when I last saw her, and I wouldn't be able to confirm it unless someone else showed up.