Chapter 3 | Friend

Sakurai

"Sakurai. We've got to get ready for school." Mom called to wake me up.

"Okay..." I sat up, stretching and yawning. I felt the warm fur of Chico on my leg and leaned up, petting him. He licked my arm, and then my face a minute later.

He was, apparently, a German Sheppard. Of course, I didn't know what that meant, but that's just what he is.

"Okay, so do you want to take a shower or bath this morning?" Mom asked. 

"I'll do a shower." I said. 

"Alright. Bathroom's in the same place it always is. I'll fix breakfast while you get ready." She said.

"Okay. Thanks." I could walk on my own around the house. I knew the surroundings well, so it wasn't a problem.

I walked to the bathroom, feeling for the shower. I stepped in, found the knobs, and began adjusting the water.

~

"Mom!" I called from the bathroom. I had wrapped a towel around my body and was standing in the middle of the bathroom, waiting.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Can you bring me my uniform?" I asked.

I got my uniform on good and went to the dining table.

"Hey, Sakurai." Dad greeted. 

"Hi." I greeted.

"How was school yesterday?" He asked.

"Alright." That was true. It wasn't THAT bad. I didn't get picked on yet because I had a dog with me and they were scared of him. Even though he's probably the biggest bundle of nothing but love that ever existed on the face of the universe.

"What are we having today? Do I have forks or anything?" I asked.

"Yes, we're having strawberry pancakes with whipped cream and syrup on top." She said.

"You really know me." I said as I found my fork and knife and began eating.

~

"Alright, have a good day at school." I'd just gotten out of the car at the curb. "Bye!" I called, and began walking forward.

I arrived to where I thought was my class and felt for the braille. 

214

My class is... 225... Where is that? How did I already get lost? 

"U-um..." I called out, hoping someone was there.

"You talking to me?" A male voice asked. 

"I g-guess. Do you know where room 225 is?" I asked.

"That's where I'm headed. I'll take you there." I followed his footsteps, and eventually found class. From there, I knew how to get to my desk.

I sat down and sighed, giving Chico a good rub.

"You can bring animals to school?!!" A different voice asked beside me.

"Not normally. But I can, though." I said.

The guy scoffed, "Why are you so special?" He asked.

I sighed, Yep... He's a bully...

I put my hand on my face, moving my head away from the sound of his voice.

"It's so cute!!" He said. For some reason, my heart started pounding out of my chest. He seemed kind of nice.

"Not like I would know." I came back.

"Why wouldn't you know?? Just look at it, it's adorable!" He said.

I sighed, "Are you new here?" I asked.

"Yeah... Why?" He asked.

"I'm blind." I said.

There was an incredibly awkward silence, "Oh... Sorry." He said.

I adjusted my sunglasses and sighed, figuring he wasn't going to talk to me anymore. After all, I'm blind. How are you supposed to feel comfortable talking to a blind person?

"What's its name?" He asked. My heart spiked into space and back. He spoke.

"It's Chico." I replied. Is he actually trying to start a conversation with me?

"That's cool. I have a cat at home. His name is Oreo. He's whi-" He stopped after he tried to describe him.

"Anyway, what do I expect in this class? Who are the mean ones?" He asked.

I shrugged. He IS trying to talk to me... Even after knowing I'm blind...

"I don't know what this means to a blind person, but you're really pretty." 

What?! I've listened to enough movies to know that that's a compliment!!! What is this guy doing?!

My heart was going out of my chest now.

My face suddenly felt really hot as well. It's just because you've never been complimented before...

"Um... Well... Thanks..." I said.

He sighed, "It didn't mean anything, did it?" He asked.

"Well, I know it's a compliment. Even if I don't understand the depth of it." I said.

He sighed, "Well, what's your name?" 

"I'm Sakurai." I said.

"Nice to meet ya, new friend! I'm Mikuno!" He greeted.

New.... Friend? 

I just... made a friend...

*Author's Note*

That was a sweet little chapter, I thought. I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

~Angel Lynn~