Chapter 13 | Story Time!

Sakurai

I walked with Mikuno into his house now. I was staying for dinner, then he was taking me back home. 

"Hey, Mikuno!" His dad greeted.

"Hello! I'm cooking food tonight!" He announced, holding my hand even though I didn't REALLY need it anymore.

"Oh, we have a kitty!!!" He exclaimed.

"You told me about him!" I said.

"He's sniffing your feet. Come on, Oreo, don't be shy!!!" He said, "Okay, I've got him in front of your face. He's sniffing." He said.

"Can I pet him?" I asked.

"You can try." He said. I reached out to pet Oreo, and ended up petting Mikuno's arm.

My face grew extremely hot.

"T-that's not the ca-" He began. 

"I noticed!!!" I snapped, embarrassed.

Suddenly he laughed, a heartwarming sound that made me feel alright. I reached out and pet his cat, who actually let me.

He then handed him to me, and he purred and hugged all over me. "No fair!!! MY cat likes you more than ME!!!" Mikuno complained.

"I'm sorry. I guess I'm just likeable." I said.

"Well, I'm about to go make food. You wanna come with?" He asked.

~

Now I stood in front of the counter (he told me that's where I was and I felt it, too) with him and we talked while he cooked.

Oreo eventually left me, which was sad. "Chico is not going to be happy with me cheating on him today." I said.

"He won't be. That's what you get for stealing my cat's heart." He said. I chuckled at the craziness that our conversations had become.

After a few minutes, when he was being quiet, I spoke up, "Are you sure you were okay with leaving your mom?" I asked.

He sighed, and I heard some utensils drop into what sounded like the sink, "I don't know... But she's strong. I know she'll make it out of there. This time is just..." He turned on the water again, seeming to purposely busy his hands so he wouldn't think about his words.

"...It's taking her a little bit longer." He concluded, sounding more like he was trying to convince himself rather than me.

"Well, I send her my get well wishes." I said. He thanked me, and went silent again.

Suddenly I heard footsteps approaching.

"Oui." His dad greeted.

"Hi." I greeted, but Mikuno stayed quiet.

"So... Sakurai, was it?" I heard the scraping of something far away. He must've been sitting down in a chair.

"Yes." I answered.

"You keeping my son under control?" He asked.

"I'm completely under control!!!" Mikuno argued.

"I-I don't know. I guess?" I asked.

They laughed and continued doing their thing as I stood there, not knowing what to say.

"Okay, it's done! Come on, Sakurai." He grabbed my hand and led me to the table, where he sat diagonal to me.

The food he cooked was amazing, I was actually surprised. 

"Oh, Sakurai. You never told me your story." He said.

Oh yeah, I told him I would tell him how I ended up blind.

"Well, I'd rather tell you in private..." I said.

"That's fine! After we eat! Shove it in your face, quick, so you can tell me!" He said.

"You're insane." I concluded. His dad laughed, "You speak the truth!" 

~

Now we sat in his bedroom. He let me sit in his chair, and I think he was just standing. "Teacher, I want my story!" He said.

"This is actually a serious story, so chill with your childishness for 5 minutes." I said.

"Sorry." He said sheepishly.

"Okay, well... I wasn't born this way... I became blind when I was 5 years old, but I don't remember anything about being able to see. We were in a bad car accident, and... Glass went into my head and damaged that part of the brain that allowed sight. The doctors said they were working on something to fix it currently, and they'd get back to us if we wanted to try out the surgery, but... They never called... Anyway, it was pretty brutal. I broke my arm and had to have surgery on it, and it still doesn't work 100% since the bone hadn't developed properly at 5. So... Yeah. That's that I guess." I said.

"Man... That's a big story." He said.

"Yeah." I said.

"I'm sorry. I wish you could see. I want you to KNOW the depth and meaning of what I mean when I say you're pretty." He complimented me again... Why does it make my stomach and heart feel so weird?!

"U-um.." I said, then remembered something, "We would've never met if I wasn't blind. You would've never said anything about Chico." I explained.

"You have a good point." He responded, "But I would've said something anyway, anything, to get your attention." He said.

"Oui, Kiddos!" I heard the door swinging open and his dad.

"It's almost 7:30, you gotta take her home." He said.

"Oh, sorry! I lost track of time! Come on, Sakurai!" Mikuno said, grabbing my hand.

Why would he have tried to get my attention? Sure, he said that he liked me, but... He wouldn't have known that then...

...

..right...?

*Author's Note*

I hope you guys enjoyed that! Sorry I'm not piling out chapters, my computer is kind of wonky right now. One of the cooling fans broke, so I can't stay on it long before it overheats.

And I REFUSE to write on my phone. Sure, just little stuff in my notes is fine, but for PEOPLE to see?! Nope. It doesn't seem as professional to me, and I prefer to use the computer anyway.

Thank you guys so much for reading, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

~Angel Lynn~