Chapter 10 | Strong Enough

Mikuno

What did I just do?

Her mom stood and went to follow her. 

What did I do? Technically, I was doing the right thing... Why do I feel horrible now?

I put my head in my hands and stared at the floor.

I just ruined everything... Like I promised her I wouldn't...

...

I should really apologize, but...

I can't speak.

"Kid, you didn't do the wrong thing." Her dad said. I looked back up at him.

"You didn't necessarily do the RIGHT thing, either. You could've waited until you could speak to us privately, and told us without her knowing." He said.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"Don't apologize to us. If you like that girl, go tell her sorry." He said. Like her?

"Who said I liked her??" I asked. Please don't tell me he meant it like that.

He shrugged, "Just go tell her sorry. It'll mean more than if you don't." 

I stood, thanked him, and left back to her room, where I assumed she ran off to.

The door was closed, so I knocked. Her mom told me to come in, so I did. Sakurai was sitting on her bed, legs criss-crossed. She turned her head away from my direction, and a spot glimmered in light.

She was crying... I made her cry...

"Can I have a minute?" Her mom nodded and left the room, closing the door softly behind her. But I KNEW she was outside, waiting.

I approached Sakurai carefully. "What are you doing?" She asked. I touched her shoulder lightly, then pulled her into my arms.

"You're strong enough to handle it on your own. But I was just trying to help. And I apologize for that. It's none of my business." My heart is beating so fast right now. But, I feel sad. My throat has a knot in it. This only happens when I talk to mom. Why is it happening now?

I heard the door creak open a little bit, but I didn't care. I needed her to know that, right now, she was the only thing that mattered. After a minute of awkward silence, she sighed, "You can let go now." 

I let go and sat down on the bed with her. She wiped under her glasses and her cheeks. "Are you sure that I'm strong enough...?" She asked.

"Yeah. You could do it. But, even if you failed, I'll be there for you." I reassured her. And I sincerely meant it. I wanted to always be there for her.

"T-thank you..." She said.

"Are you happy now?! Cheer up! We've got to go to my mom, tomorrow!" I said. She chuckled, "Yeah..." 

I made her happy again...

Her face was slightly red, which made me realize, Did I make her blush?

Suddenly, I felt MY face getting hot. Why does she do this to me?

~

"Sakurai, I think it's perfectly fine for you to go." Her mom said. I knew she'd seen the scene. 

"Really?! I was sure I screwed it up!" I said.

"AND, we'll let you try to handle it on your own. But, one more incident like the last one, and we're involving the school." Her dad added.