Chapter 12 | Mom

Mikuno

I... I just got rejected... 

Um... Now we're going to be awkward... 

But... Who even cares? I want to be with her, no matter what. Even if we're not together.

I looked back at her and her face was red, and she was licking her ice cream cone. She seemed timid, and I felt bad for her. Says the guy who just got rejected.

"It feels weird without Chico here." She said.

"I guess so... How long have you had him?" I asked.

"We got him this summer." She said.

"Oh wow. I thought he'd been with you a while." 

"Nope." 

My heart... Still ached... Girl, why do you do this to me?

We sat for a few more minutes in silence, before it started eating away at me that my mom was in surgery, and I wasn't even there.

"Think we can go back?" I asked. 

~

Now, we were back in a different waiting room. They told us what section of the hospital she was having the surgery, so we went to sit in the waiting room near there.

A nurse walked out of a room beside us, and we caught her eye. "Are you here for..." She glanced at the clipboard in her hands, "Ashina Matsui?" She asked.

"Yes." I answered.

"Alright, she just went to recovery. What's your relationship?" She asked.

"I'm her son." I answered.

"What about you?" She asked, motioning to Sakurai. I knew she wouldn't know if she were talking to her, so I interrupted, "She doesn't have any relation..." I said.

She sighed, "Okay. So, when she can come back from recovery, you're allowed to see her, but you're not. Family only, that's just the rules. If she gets a little bit better, maybe we'll make an exception." She said.

"I'm not comfortable leaving her alone. Is there ANY way that exception can be made now?" I asked.

I walked up to her and whispered the fact that she was blind. 

"Don't worry, she'll be completely safe here. You're fine to leave and see your mom. And she can sit right outside the room." She said.

I sighed, and sat back down, thanking her. Nothing goes the way you want, huh? The nurse left and told us she'd be back when I could go back. But I didn't plan to. I wasn't going to leave Sakurai. Especially when this is the first time she's been separated from her dog.

"If you're planning on staying with me, you don't have to." She said. 

"No, I kinda do." I argued.

"At least go see your mom a little." She argued.

"Fine, when the time comes." I said.

~

This is all I've ever feared. My mom ending up in worse condition while I'm gone. I don't want her time to end... I don't want her to leave me...

My phone rang out, and I quickly answered it, "Hello?" I asked.

"Hey!," It was my dad, "How's everything going?!" He asked.

"Not so good," I briefed him on the situation quickly.

"I hope she gets better. Do you know how bad it was?" He asked.

"Nope. I haven't seen her yet." I answered.