Chapter 15 | Calls

Sakurai

What does he mean? What's going on? He's shaking... Is he pranking me?

"...call 911"

His voice sounded so serious... But he couldn't be, right? What could possibly be wrong with him?

I let out a small gasp as Mikuno's hands left my arm and I heard what sounded like him hitting the ground.

"Y-You're kidding right? That wasn't you, right?" No answer.

I kneeled down and felt. After a few seconds, I felt him. He's...

I began panicking, even though he told me what to do. 

I felt for his pocket and found his phone, but when I hit the on button and asked to call his parents, nothing happened.

I grabbed my phone and told it to call 911.

"911 what's your emergency?" She asked.

"Hi, um... My friend just passed out, I need help." I said.

"Okay. What's your location?" She asked.

"I-I don't know. I'm blind, I can't read the signs." I said.

"Do you know anything about your location?" She asked.

"It's woodsey, and on the way to *insert her address here*"

"Okay. We'll send out a search team. Is there anyone there other than you and your friend? Was there an attacker?" She asked.

"No, it seems to have been a health problem." I explained.

"Okay. Just stay put, we're sending an ambulance and a policeman to escort you home. Don't move off the sidewalk in case cars are going by. Got it?" 

"Yes ma'am." I was so scared. This is honestly the scariest thing that's ever happened. I've never had to call 911 before...

I grabbed Chico and hugged him to keep him out of the road and for comfort. After a few minutes, I heard sirens. That's them...

They took Mikuno away, and I got in the back of the police car with Chico. I'm shaking...

"Thank goodness I don't have a k-9 with me." The officer broke the silence. He probably knew I was scared.

"Yeah... I don't know though, Chico's really nice." I said.

I had to tell him my address again and he drove there. "What were you and your friend doing?" He asked as we drove there.

"We had just gotten done studying at the library, and he was walking me home. He fell once, but I didn't think much of it. But... A few minutes later, he grabs my arm and tells me to call 911 if he lets go of it. And, obviously, he did." I said.

"Okay, I'll send that report to the doctors. Know any reason that could've happened?" He asked.

"I have no idea. I know he's been going to visit his mom in the hospital, but... That's all I know." I said.

"Alright."

We had finally made it back to the house. The officer assured my parents that I wasn't in any trouble, and told them the situation. 

We went inside, and the officer left. I told my parents more in detail the story, and then remembered something.

"I still have his phone. Can I call his dad?" 

They got his phone open and told me it was calling his dad. 

"Hello?" He asked.

"H-Hi... This is Sakurai..." I said.

"Hello...? What's going on...?" He asked.

"Well, a lot..." I explained what happened, and he thanked me before hanging up to go to the hospital with Mikuno.

Mikuno

I looked sideways and saw Dad sitting beside me in a chair he'd pulled up. "You doing okay?" He asked.

I nodded, "Is Sakurai okay?" 

"She got home safe. She called the ambulance for you and everything. Passing out on a blind girl, you should be ashamed of yourself." He joked.

"I warned her that I felt weird before it happened though." I said.

"Still. That was a rough situation." He said. There were a few moments of silence, then he sighed, "You've been staying up with mom all night, haven't you?" 

"...yeah..." I admitted.

"Well, you've come down with something from being at the hospital. You're running a fever. You need to go just visit for a few hours. I didn't have any deliveries this week, so I was giving you money for hotels. Where did that go?" He asked.

"I still have most of it... Except for what I spent on food. Which wasn't much overall." I said.

He sighed, "I need it back, then. And, if you go and stay overnight again, I'm not giving you the car keys." He said.

"Okay..."

The doctor came in after about an hour and said I was good to go, but that I needed to stay home until I got rid of the fever.

~

I used my dad's phone to call Sakurai. It was later in the night now, about 8 o'clock. I had gotten a good bit of rest in bed, and already talked to mom. I was feeling a little bit better, so I decided to call her and thank her.

After she didn't answer, I left a voicemail telling her who it was, and, after a few minutes, called again. This time, she picked up.

"Hey. How are you?" She asked eagerly.

"I'm doing great. Just chilling here with Oreo." I said.

"What did they say?" She asked.

"Well, I've been staying with my mom overnight. I did it for three nights in a row. And I caught something at the hospital. So I have to stay home for a while." I explained sheepishly.

"Perfect time to read the book." She said.

"If I can comprehend it." I said. There were a few moments of silence then I decided it was time to tell her.

"Thanks for... That..." I said.

"It wasn't a problem..." She lied. I knew she had to be lying.

"It HAD to have been a problem!" I argued.

"Okay, maybe a little..." She said.

"... I'm sorry... for putting you in that situation..." I said.

"It's okay. Just promise me you won't do something like that again." She said.

"Okay, I promise." I said.

"Did you call my dad or 911?" I asked.

"I couldn't get your phone to call so I had to use mine to call 911." She explained.

"How did my Dad get there, then..?" I asked.

"I got my mom to open it and I called him after I got home." She said.

I put her through so much...

"U-um... Anyway, I gotta go... School tomorrow." She said.

"You go to bed at 8 o'clock?" I asked.

"8:30. And I get up at 5, so..." She said.

"Dang. Well, 'night then." I said.

"'night. I'll talk to you tomorrow?" She asked.

"Maybe over the phone." I said.

"Okay. Bye." 

*Author's Note*

This chapter wasn't much. Sorry, but I don't have any other ideas. But next chapter will have some interesting stuff.

Anyway, thank you guys so very much for reading, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

~Angel Lynn~