Chapter 21 | Why!?

Sakurai

I sat on my bed, breathing deeply. The forcefullness of the grab wouldn't leave my mind. The sound of Mikuno's voice telling me to leave. It was... Forceful... He really wanted me out of danger. 

But... I couldn't tell where the attacker was. I heard the punches and didn't know who was doing or receiving them. 

I just left, knowing that was the only way I could help Mikuno. When I made it back, his voice was tighter than usual.

I sighed, trying to stop reliving the scene in my mind. He really was trying to protect me... And he did.... Again...

Finally, I heard the door to my room open, "Hey, it's almost 7." Dad announced. "Okay." I responded, standing with Chico and exiting my room to the dining room.

I found my chair and sat down, beginning to feel nervous. How do I thank him for that...? And why does him kissing me just NOW come into my mind?

Everyone was now at the table, but our guest hadn't arrived yet.

"You want to try to call him?" Mom asked. I opened my phone, nervously, and asked to call Mikuno.

It rang out, every ring dropping anticipation, hoping he would answer. It rang 10 times, before going to voicemail.

"Nothing." I said. He won't answer... What happened? Is he okay?

"Should we go ahead and eat? I don't think he's going to show up..." Mom asked.

"No!" I don't know why I felt so strongly, but I told them to wait, "He'll answer!! He told me he'd come!!" I argued. 

We sat for probably 10 minutes. I rested my head in my hands, waiting patiently. He's not going to come...

~

"Hey, Sakurai... Um... Is it too late for dinner?" Mikuno had finally called me back.

"Yeah. We ate a good while ago." I said. I sat inside, on my bed, feeling overwhelmingly depressed.

"I'm sorry... I, um... I fell asleep... I'm really sorry. Is there any way I can come over anyway for just a little while?" He asked.

"Let me ask."

~

My mom said it would be pointless since we would see each other at school anyway, and that he could ride with us home tomorrow.

So, I was alone that night. Again. 

~

"M-Mikuno?" I heard someone beside my desk at school.

"Nope! Guess again!" 

"Hi, Inagaki..." I wish it were Mikuno...

I heard something hit my desk, "Are the rumors true?! Did Mikuno fight to the death for you?!" She asked.

"I don't know. I guess." I said.

"What happened?! You gotta tell me." 

Mikuno didn't show up to school that day. I sat in a chair outside, with my phone in my head. Shakily, I called him, putting the phone on speaker, waiting for him to answer.

Every time I called, it went to voicemail. 

Why am I so worried? Why is he the only one I want to be with right now?! Why... Why can't I just face that I love him?! And why am I so scared to tell him?! He already confessed to me!! What's my problem?! Why did I reject him?! Where is he?! Is he okay? Why won't he answer me?! Why?! Why....?

I leaned my head onto the back of the seat as it began to sprinkle rain. It felt nice to me. I didn't want to go back inside in the warmth. The rain was fine.

I put my phone in my pocket to protect it from the water, and let the rain embrace me for a few minutes before my parents forced me back inside.

Why won't he answer me? Is he in pain? Is he depressed? What happened? I want to be there for him!!!

I pulled my phone out and called him again. When it went to voicemail, I didn't hang up.

"Mikuno. Please talk to me. Are you okay? I need to know. When are you coming back to school? I-" My voice caught, trying to decide if this were the right decision, before I continued on, "I need to tell you something. In person. Please, call me back when you get this. Arigato." (Thank you). I hung up the phone, before sighing, overwhelmed with anxiety.

I'm gonna tell him how I feel...

*Author's Note*

Okay, I was actually able to write this in one go, but my computer is getting really hot so I need to end it. Plus, I have no idea how to continue this chapter, because lots of stuff will happen next chapter.

Anyway, thank you for reading, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

~Angel Lynn~