-1-

I've always lived in fear. Fear of life. Fear of lies. Fear of everything and everyone around me. They stare me down as I walk.

I'm one of the last of the Brunettes you see. To you, brunettes may just be a way to decipher hair color. But here, it isn't good.

Most Brunettes are killed off as soon as they say anything or do anything out of line. The Blondes and the Caramel and the Raven are in control. Blondes on top, Caramel and Raven in same league below, and Brunettes at the bottom.

The only Brunette besides me is the Leader. Often called the Decider. Another name is the Killer.

She had them hidden away. Those darn buttons that made everyone live their lives in fear and hatred of one another. I've had so many nightmares of one day mine just being pressed and I'm gone.

The funniest thing is, when Brunettes are Slaughtered, isn't simply a Killing. It's a Slaughter for a reason. It's brutal. It is to keep the rest of us in line. Of course, I'm the only one at my street, at my school, in this Place.

There are 30 Places. All 30 are inside the Town. You don't leave your own Place without authorization from any Governments. That's what we call those men who get the dirty job done in secret, Governments.

And if you do leave without authorization your button is pressed before you can do anything. You cross the line, your Gone. But of course, they say it is for the safety of all. I know their lies. Their cheap, over seasoned lies.

"Acid." The teacher sharply calls my name.

"Yes Mrs. Thimble?"

"Pay attention or I'll call them in here to give you a Beat."

Now it isn't the veggie beet. It's what they do when we don't listen, they Beat us to keep us under control. In the Old World, they would've never allowed this. "Of course Mrs. Thimble, I am so sorry Mrs. Thimble."

I'm used to the old Sorry I Did Wrong Speech. I have to give it a lot because of my attention span. I have a bad one. But if I want to focus I do. I just don't find these dull un-educational  classes all that interesting. I mean, I already know the how to multiply 3x9! It's freaking 27 lady and I've learned this way before we did. I can solve for X in equations. But we don't do that yet!

"Do I have to say it again Acid!"

"No ma'm. Sorry ma'm. I was listening."

"Then tell the class what 3x8 is equivalent to Acid."

"It is equivalent to...I don't know miss, you didn't teach us that yet."

We aren't allowed to know things before being taught them. I suppose that is why my original mother's button was pressed. She taught me many things before last year happened....and she was Gone.

"Correct! Now....Tracy, what is your question?"

"It isn't a question Mrs. Thimble. I know that Acid knows the answer."

"How would you know this!" Her voice is sharp, like someone slapping someone else across the face.

"She...her mother-"

"WE ALL KNOW WHAT HER MOTHER DID! SHE WAS FOLLOWING HER RULES! SHE KNOWS IT FOR CERTAIN AND WE ALL KNOW THAT!" She snaps furiously at Tracy.

She points at me, "You. Principal. Now."

I want to object....I really do. But I also don't want a Beat. It hurts. I've seen others like me, being hit and harmed and even killed by one. I don't want to go, but I can't contradict her.

I walk out of the room sullenly with straight lips, looking straight ahead. I've never been to the Principal before. I hope it isn't a bad experience.
----

"Do you know why you have been summoned here, Acid?"

I cough, "Do to the fact that I knew something beyond the range taught to me thus far, and a student pointed out hat fact."

"Good. You know what you did wrong." The Principal's assistant says. "Hm. Seems like he'd like to speak with you. Alone. Go in."

I inch my feet forward, forcing each step. It's a dark brown door, with elegant swirls and designs. But I know what hides behind. Certain doom, that's what.

I creak the door open. "ENTER!"

I jump and swing the door open. It's a light room with an old man sitting at the desk. "So you are the Smart One."

"S-Smart One?"

"Shut the door young lady!"

"Yessir!" I jump and slam the door.

"Calm down. I will not give you a Beat for something your disgusting mother did." He snarls. "Some teachers here don't understand that it isn't the fault of the student, only the fault of the wrong way of being brought up. Even if you are a...."

I ended the sentence in my head. Even if you are a Brunette. That's what he was about to say, but he thought better of it. "Yes sir."

"I will have to do something about you knowing too much though."

"Could I make a suggestion sir?"

He grimaces, almost like I slapped him. "Well, I suppose if it is smart. And if you are as smart as everyone growls and groans about. Stupid woman..."

"What if you put me in a higher grade of education?" I gulp and look at him.

He strokes his chin, "You may be somewhere. Now how far up do you know things? Like, say Math. What do you know in math?"

"Quadratics. I know how to do quadratic formulas; standard, and vertex forms. I can convert them into one other one too."

His mouth drops, "How could've SOMEONE of such LOW standards teach their YOUNG like THAT?!?"

His old face starts to flush red and he growls at me. A low distinctive growl, "I'm calling the authorities to take you away child. Your learning capacity is beyond this school. You shall be IMPRISONED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!"

"Why can't they just click my button?" I whimper.

His face turns into a smile. "Guess that's one thing you'll have to find out yourself. I'm surprised your old hag of a mother didn't teach you that. Goodbye Brunette. I'm putting you in captivity until I get the highest of officials here."

"Highest?" I whimper.

"Highest." He nods. "Janice!"

His assistant runs in. "Yes Principal?"

"Get me the highest of authority. That's how bad our problem is."

"You don't mean-"

"Yes I do. I mean, bring me the President!" He barks. "AND GET THIS FILTHY BRUNETTE OUT OF MY OFFICE AND INTO SOME BETTER PLACE SUITED FOR HER NEEDS! LIKE A GARBAGE DUMP."

"Yes sir. Right away sir."

And with that, she scurried away. Principal and me just sat and stared daggers at each other. "You're too smart." He grumbled.

"You're too mean." I spat back.

"How dare-"

"PRESIDENT WILL BE HERE MOMENTARILY MR. PRINCIPAL!"

Two hands started to drag me out of his office. "Bye bye little Brunette brat."

He's white teeth smile was the last thing I saw before I felt the Governments inject something into my arm. Must be one of those passing out liquids I've heard of...but only in stories...
-------
That's the end of chapter 1! How'd you like it? I hope you liked it! Where do you think that the Governments are taking her (OoO) or what the President will say?

Vote, comment, and follow

Stay beautiful<3