Chapter Sixteen - Of Heroes and Villains

Jack's eyes flutter open, taking in the room around him after a second.  Mark's room, their room, has one small skylight for natural sunlight despite being underground. The morning sun streams through it, illuminating the room just enough so that Jack can make out the hero's facial features. The Irishman finds his eyes drawn to the small square of light on the floor for just a moment, the dust particles in the air visible in the beam of illumination. His gaze, however, is immediately drawn back to Mark the moment he sees those lovely brown eyes open.

"Morning," the hero murmurs, his morning voice deeper and slower than his normal voice. 

A tingle runs up Jack's spine. "Morning." 

 It takes a moment for the memories of last night to come back, and the second they do the Irishman winces. Mark notices and runs his hand over Jack's side, his fingers tracing the muscles of his back. He doesn't say anything as he leans forward, pressing a gentle kiss to the villain's lips.

Jack kisses back after a moment, his own fingers moving automatically to run along the hero's sculpted muscles. He loves kissing Mark so much that the morning breath doesn't even bother him. His hand finds the bullet scar on the hero's stomach and he covers it with his palm, adding warmth and love to the wounded spot. He can feel Mark's abdomen tense for a second before relaxing again, replaced with a smile against his lips.

"I love you," the hero murmurs.

"I love you too," Jack whispers back.  This is so, so much better than the tension that was thicker than smoke, or sobbing and shaking in a dark closet. Mark is relaxed, and Jack prefers that way more than him hurting.

"What are your plans for today, darling?" the American asks, running his thumb down Jack's jaw.

"Matthew finished the projector, so I'm going to go get it today," Jack replies, leaning against his hand. "How about you?"

"I'm going to finish those maps that I keep procrastinating on and then I'll see how I feel." Mark grins at him. "God, you're so cute I just wanna squish you, but I want to let those pesky bruises heal first. Then I'll squish you."

Jack's lips quirk up into a smile. "You can squish me gently now..."

"Ooh, that works!"

Mark snuggles closer and pulls Jack into him, squeezing lightly just like he promised. Jack nuzzles against his throat, smiling as he presses a kiss to his skin.

"You're gonna come back tonight, yeah?" Mark asks, nuzzling the top of his head.

"Yeah. And I'll have the NAI floor plans with me, so we can start getting this show on the road."

"Excellent." Mark pauses for a moment, a more serious look entering his eyes. "Jack, you'll tell me if anything happens, right? We won't have another replay of last night?"

"I'll tell you this time," Jack murmurs. His fingers tighten against the hero's waist a bit. "I'm sorry for not telling you and having you find out like that..."

"It's okay, Jack. I know now, and as long as you tell me right away when something happens, we can help you."

"Okay. Thank you."

Mark smiles and kisses his head, earning another nuzzle from the Irishman. The two cuddle a bit longer before managing to pull themselves out of bed and get ready for work. Jack pulls his pyjama shirt off without fear and Mark presses a kiss to the dark bruise on his shoulder for extra reassurance. The villain gives him one last goodbye kiss before sprinting to the NAI headquarters, rejuvenated and lighthearted.