Chapter Twenty-Eight - Fight

Jack leaves the kitchen, taking a deep breath and wiping the last of the tears from his eyes. His mind buzzes with unanswered questions, but at the same time he feels far too frazzled to ask them. He exhales heavily and attempts to slip away and find Mark, doing his best to avoid hero and rebel alike. When he finally locates Mark, he feels a weight being lifted from his shoulders.

"Where were you?" the hero asks, snaking his arm around the villain's waist and tugging him close.

"Talking to Phil," he replies softly. He hesitates, then looks up to meet warm brown eyes. "I need to talk to you." He notices Lili's gaze again and tightens his fingers against Mark's side. "In private."

"Of course, Jack. Whatever you need," the hero replies.

Before Jack gets a chance to lead Mark away, Lili walks up to them with her head bowed and a blush crawling up her cheeks. Jack instinctively tenses, although he manages to relax slightly when Mark's fingers trail up his side.

"Um, you... uh..." She stammers a bit more before taking a deep breath, glancing around quickly and exhaling when she sees that nobody else is listening. "You're one of the villains, aren't you?"

Jack's breathing hitches. That's why she was watching him. How does she know?! He nods lightly. Hesitantly. She obviously knows, so there's no point in hiding it. She smiles and Jack's eyes widen without him even realizing it. That was not the reaction he was expecting.

"How do you..." he starts, earning a bigger smile from the rebel.

"I came to San Francisco to study the villains. The things your leader did were so corrupt and yet fascinating. I wanted to get a closer look, and I never managed to get out because of the wall." She shifts, her blush getting deeper. "I did I lot of research. Your situation is completely unique. Being mutated to have powers has never happened before."

Jack flushes and resists the urge to hide his face in Mark's shoulder. "Oh. So... you know about all the terrible things we've done?"

"Yes, but they were never your own free will! I've read about the boss. He was absolutely awful."

The Irishman shrugs lightly and nods, his eyes holding a small smile that his lips can't seem to form. "Yeah. Um, thank you for standing up for us. I already thanked Phil, but I had yet to talk to you."

"You're welcome." The girl smiles again. "I couldn't just sit by."

"Lili, we're leaving!" Gunner calls.

She glances over at him before sending another small smile in Jack's direction. "It appears I have to go. It was so cool to meet you!"

Jack waves weakly and she heads off. The moment the rebels are gone, the Irishman exhales heavily and leans against Mark, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over him.

"You wanted to talk," the hero says, rubbing circles into his back. "Should we do that tomorrow?"

"No, tonight is better. I don't think I'd be able to sleep if I didn't talk about it now."

Mark nods and the two head towards their room, fingers woven together. Jack's stomach twists more and more the closer they get to their room, but he tries to ignore it. Maybe their plan isn't as bad as he anticipates.

"So, Lili knew," Mark comments, glancing at Jack.

"Apparently. Do... do you think she'll tell the others?"

"No. She probably knows it could compromise our alliance if they knew."

Jack nods lightly, his fingers clenching around Mark's the moment they reach their bedroom. He exhales shakily and settles down on the bed, followed closely by the hero.