Chapter Forty-Seven - Morning Talks and Friendly Company

Jack opens his eyes slowly, instinctively snuggling into the warm arms that surround him. Mark is right there, his body as close as humanly possible, and the villain can't help but smile sleepily. He yawns and presses a gentle kiss to the side of Mark's throat, earning a low hum from the hero in response.

"M'rning," Mark mumbles, his voice rumbling in Jack's head.

The villain kisses him again and turns onto his back, Mark making up the lost space instantly and burying his face in Jack's neck. He trails his fingers across Jack's bare chest before connecting their hands and intertwining their fingers.

"Mark, you're being clingy," Jack murmurs, his tone nothing but loving as he presses a kiss to his head of fluffy red and black hair.

"Shut up. You're really warm and you smell good," Mark mumbles in response, nuzzling his nose into Jack's skin. "Mm, I love you."

Jack smiles. "I love you too, ya big doof."

The hero smiles and turns his head, letting his eyes flutter shut as he rubs circles into the back of Jack's hand absentmindedly. "Are you feeling better today?"

"Yeah, I think so.  I didn't think running could make your abs hurt, but apparently it can in my case.  Other than that I'm still pretty sore, but it's a better kind of sore now."

Mark smirks and kisses his collarbone. "You're welcome."

"Shut up."

The hero chuckles softly and presses his lips to Jack's throat before adjusting so he can meet the Irishman's eyes with his own. "In all seriousness, are you doing anything today? Cause I wouldn't mind lying here all day."

"I'm going back to the institute. Mr. Vincent will get suspicious if I'm gone for extremely long periods of time. I'm pretty sure he's already suspicious of me," Jack replies.

Mark frowns slightly before exhaling. "Well, if you're going back, you should take Lili with you. She's been wanting to go back for some time now and has always been too timid to ask."

"Okay."

The hero sighs heavily, pulling Jack even closer. "I never want you to leave. It's unsafe over there."

"Anywhere I go is unsafe, Mark. I've dealt with the institute my entire life, and going back today won't change how unsafe it is."

The hero huffs. "Nothing I say will change your mind, huh?"

"Nope," Jack replies, popping the "p". He wraps an arm around Mark and kisses his head. "I'll come back. I always do."

"What if I told you that your pants are in the kitchen and you won't be able to get them without revealing your entire self to the rest of the heroes? Would that make you stay here in bed with me?"

Jack rolls his eyes, barely holding back his grin. "Mark, my pants are crumpled up against the door of our bedroom. And besides, I usually wear my suit when I go back to the institute."

"Damn it." Mark narrows his eyes for a moment before shifting, propping himself up over Jack and smiling down at him. "Will you stay here if you can't move?"

Jack's entire face flushes pink, his mouth falling open slightly. "I mean, obviously I won't leave if I can't physically move, but..."

"You tempt me, sir."

"Mark, I need to go back. Stop making me want to stay."

"But that was my whole goal!"

"Maaarrk," Jack whines.