Ch| 4

When are we speaking again?
you look good with that ink on your skin
.............

10 am. I really was not a morning person by any means necessary, but Jace had to call an early morning meeting after what went down with Brooks yesterday.

I hummed along to Caroline as I slid into my dark gray, thigh high slim heels. Walking through my closet I decided on my distressed oversized, off the shoulder thrasher shirt, which reached me mid thigh. Slicking my curly hair up into a messy bun, I double checked my attire before grabbing my phone and the keys to my old Mercedes.

I couldn't help but to think about what happened with Jace and I last night. I know these feelings all too well, because I felt them when I was sixteen. When I almost had my first taste of love, but that taste had since been bitter in my mouth and I wasn't going through that again.

"I won't leave you like your parents did. I won't leave you like anyone has, I love you Lana Harris. Soon you're gonna be rocking my last name though. We're gonna be Mr. and Mrs. Rashawn King."

I stared at the boy who captured my heart two years ago. Now at eighteen we swore we had it all figured out. We were in love and who was going to take that from us? No one was. We were a family. He gave me what I never had, he gave me a family.

I smiled as he rubbed my growing belly outside of our shared apartment building. I only had about 3 months left until I was due and I couldn't wait for the birth of my twins. They were going to receive all of the love that I never got to experience. Things would be different.

" I love you too baby, I put that on our unborn twins that I'll never leave you either. I swear sometimes it seems too good to be true that I've lucked up an-".

Pow! Pow!

I ducked down as I heard shots ringing out all around us. Looking to my left to make sure Rashawn was okay, I felt my heart being ripped out of my chest.

"No ! NO! Don't leave me Shawn, you promised baby......you promised." I cradled the limp body in my arms, how can this be happening. This can't be happening. The emotional pain outweighed the physical. As I cried over the body of the man that held my heart, I never once realized the pains in my stomach from where I also took a bullet. The pain in my heart was the last thing I remembered until everything faded to darkness.

Pulling over on the side of the road, I leaned my head against the steering wheel as I cried a river of tears in hopes that they would reach my lost family. It wasn't often that I allowed these thoughts to surface, but the anniversary of their death was creeping up on me. I had things I needed to accomplish and being weak wasn't going to get me where I needed to be. However, if there was one thing I knew, it was that I had to protect myself on my way to the top, even if it meant burning everyone while getting there.

............

"I just don't understand why this ugly ass mushed face bitch keeps trying me." I listened as my bestfriend Tee, went on to talk about some girl that she was dating.

"Well Tee, if the bitch ugly with mush face, then why the hell you with her?" I asked, while cracking the fuck up.

"Bitchhhhh , don't talk about my girl. She ain't really ugly shiiiiiiit, I just gotta tell her hoe ass she ugly or else the bitch gonna start feeling her self and might try to leave." She said while rolling her eyes.