chapter nine

Cordelia smiled to herself all day. She'd taken the rest of the day off yesterday to collect herself.

What she'd said to Stefan was a burst of confidence. She didn't even know what he would've said. She didn't even understand fully why she said it.

Her heart definitely beat faster now. Whenever he smiled at her. It was a nice feeling. She hadn't felt it for a long time.

Thankfully James left when her boss threatened to call the police. And she was more than happy to work waiting tables that night.

She brought over drinks of the table that had just ordered when she saw Opal come through the entrance.

She excused herself and rushed over to Opal, who's expression changed to relief. "Thank god, I thought I was at the wrong place."

"What's wrong?" Cordelia asked.

"I figured out something new, but I need you to come with me." Opal insisted.

Cordelia looked back, seeing her boss looking her way. He waved her off, saying she could go. She nodded and ran out of the place with Opal to her apartment.

Once inside, Opal explained. "Does this guy have a girlfriend?" She asked.

"It's complicated but I think so."

"Okay so, my guess is that when he was thinking of his significant other, he was thinking of her. His soul mate. But instead it was you." Opal exclaimed.

Cordelia's eyebrows creased together. "You're saying that he's my soul mate? And I'm his?"

"Exactly." Opal answered.

"That's insane." Cordelia said.

"Don't offend the books, they're the reason you got some actual information on this situation." Opal insisted.

"So what? Do I just go and say 'hope this isn't weird or anything but the universe is trying to bring us together because we are soul mates.'?" Cordelia says sarcastically.

Opal shurgged. "Worth a try."

Cordelia rolled her eyes. "This is crazy."

"Hey, you might get a new relationship by the end of this." Opal said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Not if we can't touch." That being one of the only reasons they couldn't go anywhere as long as they were separated.

"You can't touch?" Opal wad confused. Cordelia nodded.

"Tried holding his hand, touching his shoulder. Nothing." Cordelia sighed sadly.

"Maybe that's why you need to go find him." Opal said.

Cordelia thought for a moment. "Why the hell didn't I do that in the first place?" She shook her head in disbelief at herself.

"I wouldn't even know where to look!" Cordelia said.

"Then ask him." Opal said and with a wave of her hand, Cordelia was knocked out.

***

"Stefan?" Cordelia called. He didn't answer.

He was usually there when she was out. Maybe he wasn't out yet. It was really dark, almost pitch black. She didn't like it.

"Cordelia?" Stefan called from somewhere. It seemed to echo. But she caught his silhouette.

"What is this?" She asked, walking closer.

"My giving up stage, I suppose. My mind as a ripper." Stefan says.

"Ripper?"

"Whenever I taste human blood, I turn into this killing machine. It's like my humanity is turned off, only it's just the blood coursing through my brain and heightening my senses to it." Stefan explains.

"So you drink...?"

"Animal blood." Cordelia made and face.

"And now we know who killed Bambi's mom." Stefan chuckled.

"Any dead animal joke you say to me, my brother has already said. Guaranteed." Stefan insisted.

"This is pretty sad, your mind being like this. Although I assume this is a point in our lives where everyone has this darkness." Cordelia looked around the pitch black.

"I also have something to tell you." Cordelia says. Stefan stands close enough so she can fully see him, somehow. "Opal found something else that could possibly link to this."

"It sounds like great news, but you don't seem so happy about it." Stefan says, eyebrows creasing.

"Apparently, the one time you were thinking of Elena, I'm guessing, you were thinking of..." Cordelia stopped, hating the words that were coming from her mouth. "...soul mate. So when you thought of that person...you conjured up...me."

Stefan was quiet. He was confused. He was processing. It made some sort of sense. But how would his brain know of her to be his soul mate.

"It's all very confusing, and obviously it's just another possibility, there could be other answers--" Cordelia was rambling when Stefan attempted to cover her mouth with his hand.

"But it makes sense. Somehow. I don't know. Maybe there's some sort of tether between us and that's how whatever it is knows." Stefan suggested.

"You're right."

***

Cordelia awoke, ready to slap Opal only to see her sitting in the chair in the corner with a smug smile on her face.

"Now was that so hard?" She teased.

"Maybe. Give me a warning next time!" Cordelia shot up from her bed. "I told him, and he's not freaked out."

"An understanding guy, seems perfect." Opal comments.

"Now what?" Cordelia asks. Opal rolls her eyes and gets up, putting her hands on her friends shoulders.

"Drive to damn Mystic Falls and nd find this boy and set him free."

***

Maybe maybe not? This story seems to be moving fast yes, but I never really intended it to be super long anyways. Maybe 5 more chapters? 10? I don't know. Only time will tell. Hope yall enjoyed :) you're welcome for a longer one :)