What if 4 (part 4)

Roweka

The second ranker tried to keep up with the agitated girl's gait. Growing up with the tenth ranker, he knew that she must be very livid.

He shouldn't have done that earlier but he could not help himself. Knowing that Aneeka was dressed that way, possessiveness and jealousy were eating him alive. Marking her skin was not part of his plan, but he can't do anything to rectify that impulsive mistake.

"Still angry with me?" he tried to test the waters.

"Of course not, Your Excellency." She finally replied with sarcasm lacing her tone. "I'm very happy with what you did."

Rowe winced. Although he did not regret the decision of leaving a kiss mark on Aneeka, the way she was treating him urged him to do drastic measures.

He knew that the girl's anger had flared up when she discovered that she needed to be paired with him. Luckily, Aneeka still talked to him. Despite being unhappy to be forcefully paired with him, the lavender eyed girl is doing her best to help him with the demon hunting mission.

The young lord had to thank his lucky stars. His vassal was oblivious to the fact that he and the other males had something to do with the setup. They had manipulated the draw lots in order for them to end up with the partners they wanted. If she would come to know about it, he would be facing repercussions that he didn't want to think about.

"Neeka, look." He called her attention. "I am not sorry with what I did."

Refusing to look at him, Aneeka just continued trampling on the rocky terrain. "I did not ask you whether you were sorry or not, my lord." She grumbled. "And stop calling me with that name."

For some reasons, the way the girl made use of his title irked him. It seemed as though the tenth ranker had been deliberately reminding him about the difference in their hierarchical status.

With brows creasing, he muttered. "Aneeka, we're on earth. There are only several countries with monarchy here. We happened to be in a country governed with another governing system. Please drop the title and talk to me like an equal."

"We are not bound by rules from earth, my lord. We are Valemnians, not humans." She reasoned out.

"You really should become a lawyer." The young high lord commented. Then with a tired sigh,he continued, "I just want you to call me by my name."

Rowe had always liked hearing his name from her lips. There are a handful of people who would called him by his first name without his title. But when Aneeka does it, it usually made his heart jolt.

She drew in a breath before replying. "But I've been calling you by your name, my lord." She then hasten her steps.

"No. you are calling me by my title." He pointed out while trying to keep up with her pace.

Aneeka abruptly stopped and hissed in exasperation. Her patience was growing thin. "Geez, you have to stop acting like a child. Rowe."

"Ah finally!" Rowe gave a faint smile. "It is not that difficult to say my name right?"

"So happy now?" the girl narrowed her eyes at him.

"Not quite. You have to continue calling me by my name." he added, giving her a faint smile. "Just like old times."

The tenth ranker's brows creased. "We were children back then. Times are changing and I could not say or do things before."

" You called me a child just now." Rowe commented. Releasing a huge breath, he said, "You need to call me by my name. It is a part of our promise." He added with sadness.

Aneeka threw her hands in exasperation. " That again?! Rowe, I could not remember."

The second ranker eyed her before saying. "You have to remember our promise. You have to keep it."

"Why don't you just tell me already?" Aneeka snapped with frustration. Rowe can just tell her straight out if her really wanted her to fulfil whatever promise they had made.

"It will be no use if I tell you. You have to remember it by yourself." He said with finality making it a bit hard for the girl.

Upset, Aneeka groaned. She wanted to annoy Rowe so that he would tell her but all of the sudden the second ranker pounced. The tenth ranker was taken by surprise. She was taken aback as she found herself and the second ranker rolling through the rocky slope.

"Rowe!" she exclaimed as she was pinned on the forest floor with the second ranker hovering above her.

Rowe winced as he tried to cover Aneeka. That was when Aneeka noticed the blood seeping through his shoulder. The tenth ranker could barely make out the form that launched an attack towards them.

"What do you think you're doing?" she hissed as she tried to get him off.

"protecting you." He grimaced as he tried to shield the girl.

"That is supposed to be my job, Rowe!" Almost panicking, she tried to shove him off in order to take over her duty.

With a few minutes of struggling, Aneeka was able to draw her gun. Waiting for the time to strike, she took calming breathes while trying to get Rowe out of danger.

There were about three figures that had been assaulting them. With Rowe propped on a tree and out of harm's way, Aneeka was free to act.

"Aneeka, let's do the usual drill." Rowe suggested.

"But you are not in condition." She argued.

"Don't worry about me." He reassured her.

With that, the pair made their move. Rowe sprinted across the clearing and assaulted the one near his area. He managed to tackle the demon and eradicate the target but the others tried to counter attack. With the two other demons in view, Aneeka was free to attack. With a few fires, she managed to subdue their targets.

With their job done, Aneeka sprinted towards the young Lord who had almost collapse due to the wound. Aneeka was able to assess the second ranker's injury and almost freaked out. She didn't know that he had acquired such damage.

"Rowe! You're bleeding!"

Rowe just gave her a smile. Just before he passed out, he managed to whisper Aneeka. In response to his statement, the girl blushed furiously. She almost did not catch the second ranker who had lost consciousness.

A/N

Sorry about this. Don't like the drama, but I had a hard time closing the little conflict I come up for Aneeka and Rowe from the previous chapters.

I apologize. I was not able to do my self made tradition for February. This is long overdue. Anyway, I have to write two research papers for my summer classes and the stress had been piling up. So as a way to distress, I give you this.

This is Seraphina's sketch that was not uploaded last time.