Chapter 5: Medusa's Lair

Percy, Ellie, Grover, and Adriana (with Grover driving) drove to their first location. Ellie sat by Percy with Adriana on the other side of him. She looked out the window only to see statues in front of a shop. She began to feel her stomach twist, which caused her to gulp. She knew that something was definitely wrong about the place. Percy noticed Ellie's face was turning pale and whispered to her, "Are you okay?" Ellie nodded but didn't reply. The group got out of the truck and walked into the shop which was filled with statues. Ellie finally said, "Um, guys? I have a weird feeling about this place. Maybe we should go." Grover said to Ellie, "We're going to be fine. Once we find the first pearl, we're outta here." Percy stood by Ellie who watched Grover as he opened a container (hoping it would be filled with sodas) only to find rats. Grover screamed at the sight, causing Ellie and Percy to snicker. Adriana rolled her eyes at Grover and said to him, then to Percy, "Okay, scaredy cat. I think we should split up. It will be faster if we split up." Percy nodded at Adriana and walked around to look for the first pearl. Ellie, Grover, and Adriana did the same as they split up. Ellie held her pen in her hand and clicked it, causing it to turn into a sword. She hummed softly to herself as she looked around for the pearl, keeping her sword in her hand for protection.

Meanwhile, Adriana walked into a clearing full of statues then gasped when a woman came to her screaming in fear. Adriana said to the woman, "Are you alright?" The woman replied, panicking, "We have to get out of here! She turned my husband into stone! We have to go!" Adriana looked at the woman, confused, until she saw another woman with sunglasses and a towel on her head most likely hiding her hair. The woman said, sniffing the air, "I see that there is a demigod in our mist. Let me see, the daughter of Hermes?" Adriana said to the woman, who clung to her, "Close your eyes!" Both of them closed their eyes shut so they wouldn't turn into stone. The other woman aka Medusa circled around Adriana and said to the girl, as she played with Adriana's light brown hair, "I used to have hair just like yours. You see, I was courted by many suitors including your father. But, he betrayed me and fell in love with your human mother. And made me like this." Medusa unwrapped the towel around her head revealing snakes, making Adriana close her eyes even tighter.

Meanwhile, Ellie walked into a clearing filled with statues and whispered to herself then shouted for her friends, running to find them "Hold on. If there are these many statues around........ *She gasped* Oh, no. Medusa! Percy! Grover! Adriana! We gotta get out of here, now! Percy!!!!!!" While Ellie was looking for her friends, Grover and Percy had already found out that they were in Medusa's lair. Percy ran, trying to find his best friend with Grover by his side, and shouted, "Adriana!! Ellie!!" He heard Ellie shouting for him and followed the direction of her shouting. Ellie bumped into Percy and Grover and brought them into a relieved hug. Percy placed his hands on Ellie's shoulders and said to her, "Are you okay? You're not hurt, are you?" Ellie replied to him,"I'm fine. We need to find Adriana and get the heck out of here." The three friends ran to find Adriana who was in the clutches of Medusa but her wrist was in the other woman's hand but she had turned into stone. Percy, Ellie, and Grover hid behind a tree which was big enough to hide all three. Ellie whispered to Percy, holding her sword to her chest, "How do we look at Medusa without looking at her eyes?" Percy looked at Eleanor, who looked at him, and whispered, "By using this." He got his phone out of his pocket and used the screen to look at Medusa's reflection. Percy yelled out to Adriana, "Adriana, don't open your eyes!" Grover ran around the other way just as Medusa turned around. Percy took Ellie's hand and ran from Medusa. Medusa said to the snakes on her head, "Oh? What is it? Two more demigods? The son of Poseidon and the daughter of Zeus? Follow their scents." Percy and Ellie ran into another clearing filled with statues once more. They couldn't find a place to escape or hide, even if they did, they were already done for. Medusa had the two friends cornered when she arrived causing them to close their eyes. Medusa said to them, "Son of Poseidon and Daughter of Zeus........... I used to date your daddies!" She shoved one of the statues which tumbled onto another statue and made the domino effect.

Two of the statues fell on top of Ellie and Percy, trapping them. But, it didn't trap them for long. Ellie used her sword and slashed the statues that kept her and her best friend from escaping and slashed them into pieces. Before either of them could run, Medusa grabbed their hands to keep them from escaping. Ellie and Percy tried to escape Medusa's grasp but it was just no use. Medusa said to Percy, then said to Ellie, "I heard that your eyes were a deep blue color like the sea. And I heard that your eyes were light blue like the sky, dear. Open them so I may see them or my babies will open them for you." Percy said to Ellie, keeping his eyes closed, "Don't open your eyes, Ellie!" Ellie kept them closed tight, listening to Percy's voice. Medusa turned to look at Ellie then looked at Percy and said to them, "I hear that you have the lightning bolt. May I see it?" Ellie snapped at Medusa, furious, "We don't have the bloody lightning bolt!!!!!!!!! How many times do we have to get it in your Greek people's heads for God's sake?!?!"  Medusa growled at the girl and said to her, "I see you have inherited your father's temper. You're pretty lucky that I'm going to spare you. Mt. Olympus needs its heir." Unknown to Medusa, Percy had escaped her grasp and grabbed Ellie's sword. Medusa said to Ellie, shoving her to the ground, "I just might use you as bait to get the lightning bolt. Anyone would do anything to make sure that the Princess Eleanor of Mt. Olympus is alive and unharmed." Ellie snapped, her eyes still closed, "I am no princess! I am no heir to any stupid throne! And my father is not Zeus! My real father died in a fire saving people because he was a firefighter before I was born!" Before Medusa could reply; Percy slashed Ellie's sword into Medusa's neck, slicing Medusa's head clean off. Ellie screamed as Medusa's body fell towards her and backed away from Medusa.

Just as Medusa's body fell in front of Ellie, a truck came crashing into the clearing making Ellie scream again. Percy dived out of the way and covered his head with his arms. Ellie backed away even further and covered her head with her arms, just like Percy. In the truck, Adriana gripped onto the stirring wheel and said to Grover, her eyes closed, "Are you okay?" Grover laughed with joy as he felt his face with his hands and said, "I'm alive!!" Percy looked up from the ground and saw the first pearl in front of him. He grabbed it along with his friend's sword and went over to Ellie, who still had her arms over her head. He knelt down in front of Ellie and said to her, placing his hand on Ellie's knee, "Ellie...... Ellie.....*Ellie looked up at Percy, breathing heavily* She's dead, Ellie. She can't hurt you anymore." Ellie took a deep breath just as Grover and Adriana came over to her and Percy. Grover said to Ellie and Percy, "Are you guys okay? I was so worried about you two." Ellie nodded at Grover and whispered "I'm fine. Can we just get out of here?" Adriana nodded and helped Ellie off the ground and into the truck.

Grover and Percy turned to look at Medusa's head that laid on the ground where Ellie had previously been. Percy whispered to Grover, "You pick it up." Grover replied in a whisper "Why me?" Percy rolled his eyes and whispered back, "Because you're the protector and I basically just killed Medusa. Use your jacket to cover it up. I don't want Ellie to have a panic attack." Percy wiped the blood off of Ellie's sword with Grover's jacket and handed the jacket back to Grover. He watched as his friend use the jacket to pick up Medusa's head off the ground and covered it with the jacket. He went to the truck where Ellie was still breathing heavily from the previous event and sat by Ellie. while Adriana sat by Grover. Boy, what a day.......