☆ Cliché Characters ☆

Now, let's talk about OCs. If you don't know what "OC" stands for, it means "original character," which really doesn't make much sense since we're talking about clichés, so let's just pretend it stands for "own character."

Everyone got that? Okay? Okay.

Ah, the OC, it can sometimes make or break your story.

If the OC has this nice touch to them that makes them interesting, then that's great! - recommended, actually.

But then, there are those OC's that seemed like they just popped out of a crockpot and said that they're human, and then went on with their day.

Today, we'll be talking about the cliché OCs and how to fix them, TABC-style!
Oh, and since everyone absolutely loves Mary, we'll continue on using her.

---

One, the character has to be female; you absolutely can't make an OC that's a guy! Pffftt, you're crazy!

Mary's POV

"Hi, my name's Mary!" I smiled, shaking the hand of the student in front of me - the tall-statured person had hazel hair with matching brown eyes.

"I'm a female! What are you?"

"A guy...?"

"Haha, lol. What are guys?"

As you can tell, this is obviously wrong, and males have the same right in OCs as females do... we just don't see them that often. They're also probably some sort of background character so the author can have someone to write about for 100 words.

Okay, so the character either has a cliché name, like Mary, or have an extremely weird one, like... Avocado.

Avocado's POV

"Oh, I should probably introduce myself," I said, bowing slightly in front of my new friend, named Satan. "My name is Avocado, but feel free to call me Guava."

I mean, who in their right mind would name their child Avocado?

Why can't they have normal names that aren't cliché? Can characters not be named Karina or Kathy? (woah--)

But in this case, we have Mary, a common name among us humans - unless you're a cat, then this would only apply to you if the name was... Kitty - yeah, that.

Now, let's proceed to the appearance.

They're either this really basic girl with "soft and wavy brown hair, accompanied by a pair of baby blue eyes and olive skin."

There's nothing wrong with looking like that, but when every OC in your story looks like a Jefflyn/Vyladlyn child, it gets boring. Though, I totally approve of Katelyn having a child with either Jeffory or Vylad--

Or, they can be this one person that has an absurdly weird and uncommon hair color and then they say it's "all-natural."

You can't just normally strode around the neighborhood with freaking rainbow hair that looks like a bird's nest and say that "you got it from your mom."

Things don't work like that.

Can't OCs just be unique, but in a "non-weird" way? Can't some characters have blonde hair and NOT be mean? And, for Irene's sake, can they have brown eyes?

Brown eyes make up most of the population, and I think Aphmau's getting pretty lonely there. You can't just have green and blue eyes and say "my eyes are boring."
Fun fact, blue eyes are a result of genetic mutation. Green eyes are just rare, for all I know.