3 | The Lonely Heart That Fled

"Be kind to your sleeping heart. Take it out in the vast field of light and let it breathe." ~Hafez 

Her amaranth pink floral embroidered dupatta flailed graciously as she threw it behind one of her carved shoulders, the chiffon material wavering on her frame. The minuscule ivory pearls that were weaved through the threads trembled with each step she took. The thick and crocheted lace on the ends of her sleeves danced with the surmised air in the morning breeze. 

Grabbing the thick and secured files and her purse, the back of Firdaus's white heels danced on her lose fingers, minding the time that quickly passed by. Digitally printed flowers hugged the long sleeves of her kameez, complimenting the intricately colorful and embroidered garden that mindlessly sat at the two horizontal edges of her dupatta. Three black studded stones ran down the front of her chest, complimenting the monochrome ivory of her detailed shalwar. 

The light tint of her lip balm complimented the border of her dupatta and sunset colored flowers of her outfit. Her viscous hair was clipped away and back from her face, the sheer ends curling straight down her back. Her kohl was lined smoothly and perfectly to the bow of her large almond shape eyes, each lash fluttering with the breaths of rose water.

She was the brightest single blossoming bud in the midst of a plain land with nothing but infertile soil. 

A dash of color in the luminous sky. 

She was striking, but each flower that blossomed on her arms and shell of a dupatta were a reminder of her untouchable purity and soft innocence. 

She had to get to the firm in less than 30 minutes and time was precious as it ticked according to its own tune

She had to get to the firm in less than 30 minutes and time was precious as it ticked according to its own tune. She closed the dark brass doors behind her with a jolt in her steps as she raced for the large winded staircase on the east side of the house, slipping past the antique table in the middle of the long and wide hall that held four dozen champagne pink carnations and watermelon roses.

"Be careful Firdaus beti, you'll fall and hurt yourself!" Tabrez shouted as he stopped midway on the mirroring west staircase. He watched the young soul bound two- three steps at a time.

Firdaus looked up from her stubborn wristwatch with a turn in her head as her thick hair sprawled across her shoulder and back, the strands catching the pearl buttons that ran down the back of her kameez from where they danced under the clip.

"AsSalaamualaikum Mamu jaan! I'll be fine, don't worry. I'll see you when I get back. Allah Hafiz!" she yelled back from across as she hopped off the staircase and towards the kitchen.

"Aram se (Careful)!" Tabrez replied with a shake in his head, a smile twitching the corner of his lips as he admired his hardworking niece. "What will I do with this girl?"

Firdaus greeted Sakina with a bright smile as she grabbed an apple from the fruit basket in a corner of the marble countertop. She leaned into her Nani Maa's cheek and placed a kiss with a Salaam.