Chapter 1

Mudpaw streaked across the terrain, tail flapping behind him like a tree branch in a storm, kicking up dirt with his paws. Tonight was his first visit to the StarBranch, and he was not waiting around with a bunch of turtleish adults to travel there.

         He had wanted to meet StarClan since before he left the nursery.

      Mudpaw heard a giggle as a gold and white blur sped past him.

      He hissed and flattened his ears against his head, Yellowpaw, she was LeafClan's medicine cat, and a pain in the tail, even though they had only just met, she had already proven herself a know-it-all.

        He unsheathed his claws for a more firm grasp on the earth, If this were mud I would have won by now. Being a GemClan cat, Mudpaw was more skilled at swimmimg and running on soft terrain, unlike Yellowpaw's tiny little LeafClan paws.

       Putting all of the strength he could muster, Mudpaw broke into a sprint until he was gaining on his rival.

       Yellowpaw glanced back at him with a smirk in her yellow eyes, daring him to surpass her.

     Mudpaw hissed again, pulling forward so that his head was just across from her shoulder. Surprisingly, she didn't seem to care.

        She didn't even look at him, ahe just continued staring up at the star-sprinked sky, not even seeming to notice him, a content look on her  face.

        Mudpaw wondered why, they were racing, right?

       "Ahem?" he coughed, but she didn't even shift her gaze in his direction.

   This is my chance to win, Mudpaw relized, but he, too found himself gazing upon the beauty of Silverpelt.

      StarClan warriors, he remembered, I wonder which one is-

     Mupaw's thoughts were silenced by a gasp. He tore his eyes from his gaze of wonder to investigate.

    He saw Yellowpaw, ears flattened, jaw dropped, tail between her legs, and eyes stretched wide, gaping at a broken stick on the ground.

        What? Are sticks sacred to LeafClan cats, or something?

      Then, Sunheart came up to be equally shocked, "Silverface," she called, "come look at this!"

       The LeafClan medicine cat was not far behind, and his reaction was a mirror image to his apprentice's, "In all my years he whispered.

    Suddenly, it hit Mudpaw, this was the StarBranch, and it had been destroyed.