Chapter 8

Mudpaw bounded across the ground, he had come to anticipate his meeting with Yellowpaw more than the gatherings at the StarStone.

      He didn't have very many friends in GemClan. Of course there was his brother, Lightningstorm, but he was clan deputy who also had an apprentice, and there were only like, three other apprentices his age in the clan, two of which were tight-knit best friends who Mudpaw felt like a third ear around, and the other thought she was oh-so great because her mentor was the deputy.

       Yellowpaw was most definitely his very best friend.

        "Mudpaw!" she yowled joyfully as they ran to touch noses.

       Once they had stepped away, she began ramblimg excitedly on the best places for finding herbs.

...

          "Did you know that wasps lay their eggs inside on these when they die?" Mudpaw said as they harvested goldenrod.

      Yellowpaw laughed, "Of course, that's something all medicine cats need to know."

       "Huh," Mudpaw chuckled, "I didn't the first time I went out collecting herbs by myself, I found a dead one and I figured 'Oh, that's probably still good," and now I'm deathly afraid of any goldenrod that's even remotely brown."

       Yellowpaw giggled at his story.

       "Yeah, I'm not the best medicine cat there ever was." He said.

      "So, why did you become a medicine cat?" she asked.

       "Well, you know," humor vanished from his mew, "my dad died of battle wounds when I was very young. He lied to Smalltail about having a whole bunch of lives left, because he didn't want other cats to die because Smalltail was attenting to him before them. After he died, I wanted to keep his legacy of caring alive, and the best way to do that is to become a medicine cat."

       "Oh, wow," Yellowpaw sighed, "that's so much better than my reason."

      "Well what is that reason?" Mudpaw asked her.

       "I was training as a warrior at first," she said, "but I wasn't any good at it, climbing trees, hunting, fighting, my brother always bested me, he was perpetually the center of Mom's attention, so I decided to be Dad's little snowflake, and found I was much better at being a medicine cat than a warrior."

      "Spite?" Mudpaw laughed, "I never thought a cat like you would become a medicine cat to make their brother jealous."

     "What?" Yellowpaw shrugged, "I never imagined 'a cat like you' would have such a heartfelt reason!"

      Mudpaw sighed, shaking his head and gazing up at the stars, "We learn something new everyday, now don't we."