Chapter 2

Mudpaw felt chills down his spine as he stood frozen by his mentor as she and the others explained what had happened to the full moon gathering. All he could see were the shocked expressions with their horrified eyes all staring up at them, burning holes in his chest.

       After it was over and the four clans were allowed to just visit with each other for awhile, Yellowpaw came up to him while he hid in the shadows, not wanting to be questioned.

           He thought about telling her to leave him alone, but decided it wasn't worth it, she probably felt the same way he did.

        "Hey," she said, but Mudpaw didn't feel like answering, "do you think there may be any way that we could fix this?"

      Mudpaw sighed and gazed out at the cats who weren't taking notice of him.

      "It's just-" Yellowpaw continued, "I feel terrible about what's happened, and I feel like it's somehow our responsibility, you know?"

       Mudpaw didn't know what she meant by that, it wasn't her fault, nor was it his. He was just scared that he may never become a medicine cat without StarClan's guidence.

       "A journey in the woodland will bring you what you seek." a voice said, it sounded familiar, Mudpaw looked around, could it be?

       Yellowpaw looked at him, thoroughly disturbed, "I guess we might find something in the woods." Oh StarClan, she thinks I said that.

      "Yellowp-" he tried to explain that he had said nothing, but she was already halfway across the clearing by the time he turned his head.

    "Yellowpaw!" Mudpaw ran after her into the woods surrounding fourtrees.

     Somehow he missed her bright gold and white pelt, and bumped right into her.

  "Mudpaw, look." she whispered, flicking her ears toward two trails of starlike glowing pawprints in the lush greenleaf grass.

      "Woah," he said, stepping forward to sniff them, he smelled the scents of two cats, one was surprisingly his own, and the other was LeafClan.

     He looked back at Yellowpaw, "We're supposed to follow it." he said, recognizing her scent.

      She nodded, and they began following the starry pawsteps side-by-side.

    As the walk stretched on, Mudpaw found himself playing a game of trying to keep his paws in line with the glowing ones that smelled like his.

       Yellowpaw raised her catbrow, "What are you doing?"

           "I'm trying..." he paused to make a rather large gap between prints with his front right paw, "to match my steps up with these."

      Yellowpaw let out a snort of laughter that Mudpaw pretended not to notice, but he saw that she was lowkey joining in on the game.

     For the first time, Mudpaw realized that the prints disappeared where he had already been.

       "So, do you think this has anything to do with StarClan?" Yellowpaw asked casually as she brought her right hind leg across a gap.

           "'Course it does," Mudpaw said, "or are we just crushing some coincidentally placed fireflies?" Mudpaw caught her smile out of the corner of his eye.

      "You know," Yellowpaw said, "the space between these steps seems to imply that the cats were running."

  "You think we can do this while we run?" Mudpaw asked.

     "Toatally!" Yellowpaw said, breaking out into a run, and Mudpaw chased after her.

        It was a great challence to keep his paws in line, and Yellowpaw was doing it almost effortlessly, but eventually he caught up with her.

       "Aha!" he cried when he finally had surpassed her just in time for the tracks to end.

      "I wonder what we're here for." Yellowpaw said, not aknowladging defeat.

       Then Mudpaw noticed a warm golden glow beside a crystal blue one through the leaves of a bush, "Look." he whispered, tapping Yellowpaw's shoulder with a paw.

        The lights stepped right through the shrubbery to reveal two warriors of StarClan.

      One was a blue-green eyed tortoiseshell tom with a blue aura who smelled faintly of LeafClan.

        The second was a brown tom with black spots and golden brown eyes that matched the color of his light, Mudpaw's father.