Chapter 18

The full moon hung in the sky above the mass of gathered cats below.

      "And, LeafClan has an announcement as well," Whitestar, Goldenstar's former deputy and LeafClan leader since her retirement said, "we have the arrival of Birchkit, born to proud parents, Stormwind and Sootfoot."

      Mudfoot whipped his head around to look at Yellowpetal, who's expression was the picture of joy.

      "Great StarClan, we're grandparents!" He gasped quietly.

       "Yup." Yellowpaw whispered and nodded.

       Mudfoot felt so old, Has it really been that long since the kits were born? He realized that his parent's didn't become grandparents until his mother was an elder, and his father was dead.

      On the way out of the gathering, he walked up to Smalltail, "I'm thinking about becoming a messenger cat."

     She turned around to him, surprised, "What? Why?"

      "I just thought it might be a good idea to have a travelling cat with herb experience." Mudfoot lied, "I think it would be very beneficialfor all of us."

      Smalltail nodded, "Good idea, you may."

       "Thank you." Mudfoot said, "I promise, if you ever feel th need to retire without a fully trained apprentice, I willl come right back to you."