Chapter 12

Mudfoot had been sleeping near the front of the medicine den for the past half a moon, Yellowpetal's kits were coming any say now, and she had promised to send someone trustworthy for him when it happened.

      PUFF, PUFF, rocks hit the wet sediment in front of Mudfoot's den. He opened his vivid green eyes to see a gold and white cat standing on the bank on the other side of the creek.

       Yellowpetal? Mudfoot thought, but though this cat had a similar pelt, they were too tall and thin to be his mate.

       Mudfoot quietly stepped out of the den to the creekbed where he, as quietly as possible, slipped into the water and paddled to the other side.

        The tom definitely smelled a lot like Yellowpetal, he looked a lot like her, too. Except his face was less broad and flat than her's, and his eyes were the same clear blue as Silverface's.

       "Come on, Yellowpetal is having her kits." he hissed quietly. At first Mudfoot was startled by his tone, but then looking into his eyes, he realized that this cat was about as worried as he was.

...

       As they dashed through the hills of LeafClan, Mudfoot mustered the courage to ask, "Who are you?"

       "I'm Lightningpelt," he said, "Yellowpetal's brother."

       Mudfoot nodded, This is the tom who's taking my place. It was true that the kits were going to know Lightningpelt as a father, and Mudfoot wasn't sure how he felt about that.

   As they drew closer to Yellowpetal's hiding place, Mudfoot drew to a sudden stop as he heard her cries of pain. I did this to her. he realized sorrowfully, If only I hadn't come to hunt herbs with her a second time, we would both be better off.

      Lightningpelt anxiously shuffled his front paws, "Come on!"

     Mudfoot shook his head as he broke out of his daze, "Right." and he followed Lightningpelt to meet his two tiny daughters.