Chapter 17

"Gee, thanks for the help, Dad." Mudfoot grumbled.

        "I'm sorry, but this is all I can tell you." Mudstar said.

      Mudfoot found himself awake, "Of course." he hissed at the StarStone.

        "Was StarClan confusing for you?" Yellowpetal asked.

     "Yeah." Mudfoot groaned.

      "I'm sorry about that." Yellowpetal affectionately rubbed heads with him.

...

       Mudfoot stood in front of a patch of herbs, Is this catmint or watermint? He wondered.

     "Even herbs don't make sense anymore!" he yowled.

      "So, ya finally broke." Mudfoot looked up to see Smudgeface spread across a treebranch.

         "What do yo want, Smudgeface?" He mumbled, ears pressed against his head.

      She gazed up at the clouds above, "Lots of things," she said, "courage comes to mind. Helping a friend in need would be pretty good, though."

       Mudfoot flicked his tail, "Well, I don't need your help."

       "C'mon, Mudfoot," Smudgeface looked back down at him, "we both know you miss 'em."

      He stared up at her in shock, "YOU KNOW?"

          "Well, duh, I'm the messenger!" she said, "StarClan, I even know all about Goldenstreak's-"

       "You haven't told Lightningstorm and my mother, have you?" he asked.

      "Nope, but I did tell Stormwind." Smudgeface shook her head, "Tom, that kit can scream."

       "Uh, uh, uh, uh..." Mudfoot had no idea what to say to her.

  "Listen Mud," Smudgeface sighed, "these old bones aren't gonna run much longer, so I've been thinkin'-"

       Mudfoot pulled the herbs from the ground, "I'll think about it." ...not.