Chapter 6

Mudpaw walked up to the hollow tree to find Yellowpaw already there.

       "You're late." She said, "The sun is halfway set already." 

        Mudpaw cringed, "Sorry."

      "What's this?" a white and gray she-cat slipped out of the hole at the base of the hollow tree, Smudgeface was a loner who delivered messages to the clans when needed.

     "Medicine cat stuff." Mudpaw said at the same time Yellowpaw said, "Medicine cat business." I wish I had said that, it sounds so professional and secretive. It was funny the difference one word could make

      Smudgeface shook her head, "Be on with it then."

      "You're not gonna tell my parents that I was here?" Yellowpaw said, her parents were Goldenstar and Silverface, so it was basically don't tell my mom, my dad, my mentor, and my clan leader.

      Smudgeface looked back at her with playful brown eyes, "Believe me, kit, I've seen a lot of weird things in my job as a messenger cat, but I've never once reported anything to those who don't ask me."

        After she had dissapeared back into her hollow, Mudpaw remembered the subject of catmint.

...

        He lead her to a bend in the river that was so dense with catmint that you couldn't see the ground beneath it.

     Yellowpaw lit up, "Catmint!" and they went immediately to harvesting the leaves.

      "Might I ask," Mudpaw said, mouthful of catmint, "how is you're father your mentor? I mean, we're not allowed to have kits."

     Yellowpaw sighed, "When he was a kit, he caused the death of Lakefur's first apprentice, Raggedtail, in an accident. He felt so bad about it that he gave up his dream of becoming a warrior to become a medicine cat, feeling he owed a debt to Lakefur and Raggedtail. He felt just awful when he began falling in love with my mom, he thought he had failed as a medicine cat, but Lakefur allowed them to be together to thank Silverface for becoming his apprentice. You see, Lakefur was old at the time, and it's doubtful he would of had time to train another apprentice had my father not replaced Raggedtail so quickly."

     Mudpaw nodded, "Mmkay."