Chapter 3

Ten. Nine. Eight.

Oh, come on, time speed up please! Why is ten seconds like ten years?

Three. Two. One.

The lunch bell rang. Everyone lifted their heads from the table and rushed out of the room once dismissed. Not me, though. I was about to get the hell out of here and escape Jace, who was being his usual annoying self when Miss Patricia called me.

"Miss Johnson! I would like to have a word with you."

I groaned. She would really have to stick to a word, because my stomach was grumbling really loudly and if I did not eat, I was ninety percent sure I would die of hunger.

The other ten percent was my exaggeration.

I strode up to her desk restlessly, waiting for her to speak.

"Your math results are not improving, Miss Johnson. I know you are trying really hard at the moment, but it is, alas, not enough. I had asked Mr Jenson to coach you in math, and I hope you can learn from him. It is his second week but his results are catching up. He seems agreeable enough to teach you, so please make some time for him to-"

Wait, Mr Jenson?

"I'm sorry Miss Patricia, but did I hear wrongly, or is it Mr Jenson-"

"You heard correctly, Miss Johnson."

"But...but...Could I just ask Jenny instead?" I asked angrily. Jenny was the math genius in our class.

"Miss Johnson, Jace had agreed to coach you, so you could show a bit of appreciation for him." The note of dismissal in her voice was obvious. I sighed inwardly and left the room. Why did it have to be Jace, out of all people?

I rushed to the cafeteria and went to find Peter and the others, expecting them to be sitting down and bickering as usual. Instead, I found Jace holding court at the centre of the table we normally occupy. He was cracking a joke and my friends were laughing hysterically, Christina doubling up, not able to contain her own contagious laughter.

I strode up, slamming my hands on the table and making everyone jump.

"Mr Jenson, may you kindly explain to me why the hell you agreed to coach me in math?" I folded my hands, looking at him expectantly. For a minute he just stared at me, and then-

"I agreed? Because I want to help you, duh!" He rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was ten.

I could hear snickers from my friends except Peter. He was looking at me with worried eyes. I smiled sweetly at him, telling him with my eyes not to worry, and that I could settle it myself. However, he asked, "Are you okay, babe? Should I tell your math teacher not to let Jenson tea-"

People were staring at us now, especially Zoey, and I suppose I had kicked up a huge fuss about it. Jace would do everything to get his way, and as much as I hated to admit it, I really needed help with my algebra.

Guess I would have to give it a shot.

I sighed in defeat and said, "Don't worry, Peter. But thanks anyway." Turning to Jace, I asked unenthusiastically, "Well, then when can we do it?"

"Today, Kit Kat."

I sighed and replied, "Today it is then."

I stalked away for a hamburger, fuming about how life seemed to not fancy me today.

-

It turned out that Jace happened to stay around the corner, and that was worrying, because it would mean that if he knew it, he would definitely keep on annoying me, and he would definitely know it, because he was coming over to help me in math.