Chapter 8

WHEN I WAS THIRTEEN, I started reading romance. Addicted to the happily-ever-afters, I thought that every girl would have her own when they grew up.

When I was fifteen, I gave up searching for the him, the guy who was supposed to be my Prince Charming after my boyfriend dumped me. After fifteen boxes of tissues, Christina, my new best friend, finally managed to know what happened.

When I was sixteen, I felt very lonely. I craved Peter's presence. Yes, he was my crush.

When I was seventeen, Peter noticed me. Words could not decribe the happiness I felt when he asked me to be his girlfriend.

Right now, we were lying on bed, cuddling while watching a movie. The same old happiness blossomed in my chest as Peter snuggled closer to me, muttering, "God, I missed this. We were just so distant lately."

"Yeah..." I whispered.

As I felt his hard rock near my legs, I suddenly remembered Christina's words.

When are you actually going to give him your V card? You've been together with him for ayear.

"I love you."

"Love you too." I replied with a dry throat.

What was the truth? I may like him a lot, but that was probably not to the extent of love. People say the word so loosely it's frightening sometimes.

But what was I? A coward for not wanting to hurt her boyfriend by lying to him that she loved him.

But my decision to do that with him during his birthday stayed unchanged.

I will do it. I trust him.

Peter's phone rang, interrupting the peaceful silence. "Sorry, gotta answer this." He looked at his phone, tilting it so I could not see who the caller was.

"Hey..."

I frowned.

Was he hiding something from me?

I knew it was wrong to eavesdrop, but Peter seemed suspicious. Pressing my ears on the door separating us, I listened.

"Yeah...Oh..."

"What's wrong?" He seemed worried.

"Oh...Alright I'll come along...baby..."

Baby?!

"Okay see you."

I quickly sprawl over my bed, making it seem like I was sleeping. I heard Peter come in and kiss my forehead but I pretended to be asleep, still processing what he just uttered.

-

"Bras? Lingerie?" I looked at Christina, confused.

"Yes, dear best friend. You need those to amaze your boyfriend." She replied, rolling her eyes exaggeratedly.

I gave Jace a glance to see that he too was looking like he was about to pull his hair off.

Boy, I want to ruffle that soft, amazing...

"God, stop with those thoughts!" I scolded myself to find out that I had screamed it out loud. Turning red at my friends' bewildered expressions, I muttered, "I was thinking of...um, strangling Christina because... she knows all of these."

Jace laughed while Christina was still processing what I just said.

"I'm sure you were thinking of something else, Kit Kat." He said the exact thing I was doing. I hit his arm playfully, ignoring how my skin burned when I touched him.